+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chimney--Through Roof vs Through Wall

Default Chimney--Through Roof vs Through Wall

In setting up our new sugarhouse, I am wondering if I should run the stack straigjt up through the roof, or out the back wall and then up? What are the pros/cons of each? Thanks in advance for all advice!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Straight up through would be preferred. The stack is suppose to be at least 1.5 times the length of the evaporator. So if your evaporator is 10 feet your stack would be 15 feet.
    Jared

Everything I read about stack length says 2x the evaporator. If you go out a wall then up, you have added restrictions, thus you will need even more length. Straight up thru the roof is far better.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You want to go straight up through the roof. Elbows create restrictions that you don't want. From the pictures of your evaporator that I saw in another thread you won't have a problem getting the required 2x the length of the evaporator.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

If you are using auf it doesn’t matter. Less commitment we went thru the wall and our boil rate hasn’t changed from when we had a straight stack boiling outside

+ Reply to Thread