+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cupola Design

Default Cupola Design

Hi everyone!

After several attempts and setbacks through the years, my family and I are finally making a go of making liquid gold!

The pics attached are of the sugarhouse so far. We are a family of savers and have scrounged up enough materials over the years to make a basic shack. It isn't the prettiest, or even the best build. But it should serve its purpose well.

With rafters beginning to go up on Labor Day, my attentions turn to the cupola. I have some basic guidelines and ideas but need some more insight. Might I ask to see your cupola pics and/or designs? Especially of the insides...frames, cables/ropes, etc.?

Much appreciated and will keep you posted on our humble sugaring abode!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ty Pilarczyk; 09-01-2018 at 10:18 PM.

14055529_1277794965584566_1219782970_n.jpg14068264_1286834111347318_3265390355219445744_n.jpg This is how we did ours two years ago. Simple door hinges allow it to open and close.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Will you be making any sort of hood or are you going with the let the steam find its way out idea.

Something that I learned the hard way: make sure that your cupola doors open out. Condensation rains on the evaporator if they open in. The downside to opening out is that you will need a bracket for the cable system to open and close the door.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Haynes no hood, just natural draft.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Here's a not so good photo of my cupola. But the design worked well for me as I was building the entire sugar house alone. If you don't plan on using a hood I would recommend going overkill on the cupola size incase you decide to upgrade and expand your evaporator someday. Saves you from cutting your roof apart to extend it if the steam gets to be too much down the road.
    Cupola.jpg
    20180212_172435.jpg
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Does anyone know if having the doors open down (hinge on bottom) or open up (top hinged) effects the venting one way or another? thanks!

Mine are hinged on the bottom, I never tried hinges on top. The only issue is that you want them to open to slightly beyond level so they drip outside if it's snowing or raining and then you need a pulley up high to pull them closed . I have ropes to close mine, but both are then joined and go down as 1. On that one I have a knot to show how far to open them. I use a boat type cleat to tie it off, and the knot always gets placed at the same spot on the cleat. If I go too far and let them rest on the roof I'm barely heavy enough to lift them, and I'm not a light weight by any means.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave, with your hinges being mounted on the bottom of the cupola doors, when it is snowing and time to close the doors have you had a problem with snow on the doors dumping into the sugar shack?
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

My doors open out from the bottom. "Hinged" on a 1" pipe placed 1/3 down from the top which extends into pillow blocks mounted on cupola. They always want to close and keep any rain or snow out.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast