+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southeast Ohio 2019

Default Southeast Ohio 2019

Considering tapping this weekend. Looks like the temps will dip down again for a bit next week but then be up by the weekend.

Anybody tapped yet?

-Rick

The forecast doesn't look good until late February or first week in March here in central Ohio. Accuweather forecast looks like 3-4 years ago when we only had a two week season the first two weeks of March.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

This season concerns me as well bowhunter. It looks a lot like a season we had a few years ago when winter set in right at the end of January and didn't break until late February. It was my worse year on record. When we got runs they were huge, but I think I only boiled like 5 times. I am afraid when it breaks it will be 60 degree days. That is what usually happen down here in southern Ohio.

With that in mind I am going to put all my taps in tomorrow (Jan 26th) and get whatever runs I can. I am usually pulling taps by March 10th. I think we'll have a run early next week and then freeze for a week and then I hope it's full on maple season from mid February. I did not make hardly any early season syrup this year for the first time in 5 years. I put out 38 early taps and got two small runs. I finally drained the pan and finished off my sweet, made less than 1/2 gallon of syrup. I wish I hadn't even tapped my fall woods.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I'm still new to this (3rd year). I'm going to tap tomorrow and see what happens this week. Hopefully will have enough to get my first boil in for the year before everything freezes up again. We will see.

All tapped in here, between zanesvillle and marrietta
    170 on lines we will see what happens this year good luck guys
    150 taps on gravity
    6' x 3 1/2' homemade pan
    wood fired homemade evaporator out of 500 gal propane tank
    2018 ranger sap collector

Here in Athens county I have collected 338 gallons of sap. And made 6.2 gallons of syrup so far. How is everyone else doing?

We tapped Monday this week, put in 30 tree savers, we use food grade bags to hang off the tree savers. Collected yesterday, got around 50 - 55 gallons of sap. We had a few days where the temp didn't get over freezing and then we got a 50 degree day and now avg lower 40's.

Tapped 10 more during collection Thursday, and will tap 20 more this weekend.

All done down here. Made about a gallon on 16 taps. It got warm and has stayed warm for the last couple weeks. Trees will be budded out soon. Hate the short ones! Hope you guys get another good run or two. If anybody gets stuck with some extra sap , give me a shout!

28 taps on about 20 trees. Some trees producing very little... I've collect around 80 gallons so far... Finishing 20 gallons right now. Should be somewhere around 1.5 gallons of syrup. REALLY hoping this weeks cold front gives us a good push.

Gallia County.

This year is technically my third year... but I would considerate it my second year since the first year didn't produce any syrup. Desperately searching for ways to upgrade my system. Currently on a homemade barrel evaporator. Getting 3 gph if I bust it the entire time and stay on top of feeding wood and playing with the draft. Wind yesterday was a killer. Really hoping to upgrade to either a 2x4 or maybe a 18"x48" CDL... still doing research on the subject.

Ran a few lines linking some trees together this year, as opposed to last. Last year I just had a gallon container at each tree. Really want to run tubes through the whole property and run a mainline to a storage tank. Still trying to figure out logistics, how to move tanks, do I need a pump. Bad part is that this is all on a neighbors property. He doesn't care what i do but I kinda hate to invest so much on someone else's land. My wife and I have been trying to find some property for a couple years now. Hopefully in the next year or two we can make it happen. Good luck everybody.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast