+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to keep large quantity of sap cool

Haynes Forest Products Guest

That ain't no walk in cooler that's a shove it in cooler. How many taps you doing?

We are pretty small only about 40. It should be big enough to hold about 130 gallons, easy enough for a week.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

40 X 7 = 280 Got it and if you get a good day or two that should all fit in 130 gallon container.

We had 30 taps last year and I think out best week was 80 gallons. So definitely not 7 gallons a tap, also all are just on buckets.

well the fridge/freezer wasn`t in good condition, so we passed on it. we are thinking of making a small one now somewhere around 4x8x4 feet, with 2 inch insulation. should fit about 160 gallons. but i don`t know much about the window ac units. i heard some good things of coolbot, but not sure if i want to fork over the $350 bucks for it if there is another way.

There is a thread on Bowhunter website with a lot of information on making a walk in cooler.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I use a chest freezer. I bypass the thermostat with a unit off eBay. There’s a Video on YouTube. Basically turns into a refrigerator. There’s a bottom drain, I took 1/4” stainless pipe with two o-rings on it with an elbow and valve and pushed in through the outside drain hole. Mine only holds about 30 gal. It’s too small but it works great. I keep the sap around 36°. When the season is done you can use it as a freezer if you like.

Doing some more reading on diy coolers and a few people have said you can put a bigger resistor in the wire with the temp probe to make it cool to 45 or so. I think we are starting on the scack this weekend, so once that's done we will move forward with the cooler.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12