+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Float activated gas pump

Default Float activated gas pump

Here’s my situation;

I have a remote section of trees 800-1000 taps (no hydro) at the bottom of a gully. My idea is to have a electric start gas engine that will be wired to a float switch to turn on once the tank if full to pump the sap up to the landing where I can access it with a truck.

In my head it sounds like a good idea I am just wondering if anyone has done something similar my concerns are getting it to start when cold.
    3x10 oil fired evaporator
    1300 vaccumm
    350 buckets

I haven't done that, but my suggestion is to run a drain line from just after the pump back into the suction line and have the pump set at least a foot above the bottom of the tank you are pumping from. That should prevent the pump from freezing and not turning over when the tank is full because it still has some ice in the pump housing. That drain could be just a 5/16 line to drain back.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I also suggest you look into a propane fired engine, far more dependable than gasoline. (No I do not own stock in any propane company).
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerMcT View Post
    Here’s my situation;

I have a remote section of trees 800-1000 taps (no hydro) at the bottom of a gully. My idea is to have a electric start gas engine that will be wired to a float switch to turn on once the tank if full to pump the sap up to the landing where I can access it with a truck.

In my head it sounds like a good idea I am just wondering if anyone has done something similar my concerns are getting it to start when cold.
    I’m in a similar situation here did you end up making this work?
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

+ Reply to Thread