+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Releaser

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Living with 2 mechanical releasers out in the weather going thru freeze and thaw cycles every day for the season over a 14 seasons has been a challenge. Now with remote sensing I can see when it fails due to a simple chunk of ice the size of an ice cube. Any kind of heat will be well worth the investment. If you could get your mother-in-law to spoon with it at night would help with production.

Quote Originally Posted by hogisland42 View Post
    I agree with Dr Tim. There is always some left in the bottom and during long freeze ups and the sap gets nasty from the warmth of the heater. I have a quick connect on mine so I can pump it out on ground after sap starts running again to clean it out.
    Thanks for the info everyone. My releaser has a drain on the bottom so all liquid should drain out. As Dr. Tim said there still will be some sap inside the pump itself so heat will be needed. You also mentioned the quick connect fitting. I assume thats right after the check valve where the sap is pumped out of the releaser. That would still leave a little sap in the check valve itself. I wish that had a drain. The check valve and the pump seem to be the two problem areas that need heat. Is this right? Thanks.

Spud

On the CDL vertical electric releasers what size pipe should I run from releaser to moisture trap? The outlet on the releaser is 3 inch but it comes with a friction fit reducer that is 2 inch. If I go with the 2 inch them I could pop it out anytime I needed to move the releaser. If I glue a 3 inch into the releaser it's there for good. I know I could cut the pipe and add a connector in the future if needed. It's 2 inch leaving the pump but I bump it up to 3 inch right away and stays 3 inch through the trap and then to the releaser where I need to connect. What should I do?

Spud

I have a CDL vertical electric releaser and I piped it 3" from the vac pump to the moisture trap then 3" to the releaser. I install a 3" union to be able to disconnect the releaser from the moisture trap.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Fernco connectors work good on the Vac side of things. They allow disassembly and have enough deflection that if things don’t line up perfect they can still be connected. I don’t use them anywhere that sap is since they aren’t food grade

I use a fernco on mine as well I have it so there is maybe 1/2" between the pipes.
    Jared

Thanks everyone.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12