+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Releaser

Default Electric Releaser

I will be installing my new Electric releaser from CDL real soon. It will be in a insulated room heated by my vacuum pumps. In the event I shut my pumps down for a week long cold spell I assume I need to drain the releaser. Is there a switch to manually turn the pump on. I probably will keep a small heater running in the room during cold spells. Im not sure if that heater will keep things warm enough. If the releaser was fully drained do I still need the heater on?

Spud

Yes you will we run electric box heaters , they are around 35.00-45.00 dollars. we use the cords with the thermostat built in to then because we have hade the thermostats that are built in fail and freeze things up hard. we set the thermostats and leave them pluged in all season. We still go check them morning & night when it is cold out.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

When it comes to protecting things from freezing, I'm in the belt AND suspenders camp.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Best thing I ever did was put heat and insulation where my releaser s are. Between heat from the pump and a small ceramic heater I **** near eliminated any hangups with my releasers. I never shut the pumps off all season and the releasers are mechanical

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a heater will be on anytime the pumps are off. For the most part my pumps stay on all the time. Although there are times when I get mid January sap for a few days and then nothing for 4-6 weeks. It's those 4-6 weeks I am concerned with. I assume I can drain this releaser during the cold spellsspud

Even if you drain the Releaser you need to keep the heat on as there will always be some residual moisture in the pump that will lock it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

Check out a small propane heater, one with a pilot and a thermostat, far more dependable and that is the most important part. For my RO room I installed an 8000 BTU propane wall heater, direct vent. It has never failed. Mine happens to be on a bulk tank but you could just as easily run one off a 20# tank or even better 2 with an auto switch over when one gets empty. On mine I do have electric for back up but the propane so far has never failed. I have the propane thermostat set at 45 and the electric set at about 40-41 (or whatever it's lowest setting is on the electric space heater. My electric is run from my solar system/battery bank so even if the grid goes out I still have power.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I remove the pump over winter, and during a long freeze up, and put the pump in a heated room. That way you won't need heat on the releaser all of the time. I cut the wire, and put wire nuts on it, so it only takes 2-3 minutes to remove the pump. I learned that even if you tilt the pump upside down, they still hold liquid.
    Jeremy
    Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
    Somerset County, PA
    22000 taps on vacuum and counting
    4x14 Leader Max pans oil fired with steam-away, 2-1000gph RO's, 2-4000gph RO's

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Our releaser/RO room is heated by propane, with electric backup heaters on thermostat blocks.

Releasers often do have on/off/auto switches, so you can pump them out manually.

As far as draining, some releasers have a good amount of sap still in them after they are pumped out, some have less, but typically they all have some amount of liquid remaining in the pump itself, so keeping it from freezing is necessary. One problem with this scenario is that the residual sap in the releaser becomes a bit of a cesspool during a week-long freeze-up, since it is in a heated room. Some releaser designs are easier to drain and clean than others.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I agree with Dr Tim. There is always some left in the bottom and during long freeze ups and the sap gets nasty from the warmth of the heater. I have a quick connect on mine so I can pump it out on ground after sap starts running again to clean it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast