+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hobby Commercial RO comparison

Default Hobby Commercial RO comparison

Just getting back into the business and starting to look at hobby RO's. Would appreciate any recommendations positive or negative about the different brands. CDL, Leader,Dear Run, Lapierre, and any other out there. Thanks in advance. John

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Don't forget H2O They make a nice Hobby unit very similar to the CDL. Have a few friends with both CDL and H20 say they like/love them. I would hunt for a special from the manf. I can't stress enough about getting ones that have the bells and whistles. Time is money and being able to take the time to plumb a hobby unit into all your tanks for easy use and cleaning is key. I believe the term Hobby unit is fading with the abilities of the units that are available today. I would use the term small and large producers. Having a unit that rinse and clan the membranes without a lot of fussing around will make your operation so much easier to expand. You also want a company that is close buy with parts in stock and good tech support over the phone.

I had a 250gph Lapierre unit for 8 years or so before I upped to a 600gph and it worked really well. One consideration is service or lack thereof close to you. Doesn't matter what brand you go with you will have a question or something go wrong at some point. you need someone that will answer the phone when your machine won't start and you have xxx gallons of sap waiting. Service may not only be the manufacturer, it could be a local dealer or even a friend who has the same machine. This forum will help you in the off season but if you need an answer 'in season' quickly it tough because most of us are in the woods or in the sugarhouse. Leader typically has the highest prices, Deer run the lowest. Lapierre, CDL and H2O are in the middle price wise. That's where I would look. Some minor differences between the three but the operation is the same and it becomes a chevy vs ford discussion. Don't be afraid to look at 'used' machines either, sugarmakers have a very good track record of being honest and taking care of their equipment!!

Good Luck
    Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Mike/Maplewalnut has a good point about getting service on the unit after the sale. 90% of the parts that make up an RO are simple components that can be purchased from the original manufacture. What gets tricky is the electronics that control it. The big brands with their super stores have most parts to get you up and running. Now with that said if you buy from a company that doesn't have that dealer support your at the mercy of anyone that will listen.

What drives most dealers crazy is getting calls from the small producer that got a RO from the Hobbyist builders that make equipment and then tell you its made up of generic equipment so fixing it is easy just call up the pump company or the membrane manufacture!!! But Chuck you just said that........................YUP your right this is where it gets interesting. A simple pressure switch can bring your entire operation back to the stone age if you don't know what to do and if you don't and the machine your using is made by Little Billy down the road that is handy with his hands. your in nfor a long night.

Most people that have machines that can't be properly cleaned on a regular scheduled suffer when it comes to finding out why it "Just won't work as well as it used too"

Trust me when I say without my ability to reach my dealer any time anywhere I would be screwed because I messed up the settings or forgot to put the membrane plug in the right way at the beginning of the season

Service is key, Two years ago my high pressure pump went, of course on a big sap day. Couple hours later I was home from D&G with a pump in the crate to replace mine. I have owned a D&G 600 and now a Lapierre 1200, one of the deciding factors on both was performance, Dealer location, parts stock in season.

We are lucky to be within a hours drive of Leader, CDL, Lapierre, H2O, D@G, either factories or factory stores. Makes it easier when stuff hits the fan and you have to get going.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

+ Reply to Thread