+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My homemade arch project

Yeah I figured there would be a "getting used to it" phase at the beggining to get things running optimaly. I do like the blast gate idea though. That way once I get everything adjusted the way I like I can just shut the gate, fuel up and open the gate again. No fussing with settings or shutting the blower down if need be. It might have to get worked into the build.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Quote Originally Posted by phil-t View Post
    Nice looking project.It should make some excelect syrup. I think your fan is going to need that restriction plate installed, like mentioned. I have a similar fan on my halfpint and usually have to restrict the intake by 1/2 or more. Like was said, the cutoff plate works well and I think is better than a rheostat.
    Thanks phil. I hope it makes some good syrup, and a lot faster then the old barrel stove.
    Jake
    24x12 sugar house

So thinking about the plumbing for the blast gate... the blower is going to be mounted under the arch. Mounting the gate between the blower and the arch is going to put it in a hard to reach area. Could I put a piece of pipe coming off the intake side of the blower out to where it is more accessable and use the gate to shut off the intake air instead of the output?
    Jake
    24x12 sugar house

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Don't complicate it. Just mount the blast gate at the arch opening with the blower where ever you want. Like I was saying just put a lever, rod, stick anything to open and close it. Just a simple lever that is mounted on the side of the arch. I see that some manufactures use the same cables they use for power take offs or hydraulic pto's. They lock in place and allow you to work in a standing position. Were starting to complicate the simple.

https://www.zoro.com/buyers-products...20/i/G0211309/

Just hard mount the blast gate and blower and then use this cable mounted up near the door so you can shut gate open door and toss in the wood all in about 90 seconds unless you want make it into a major project.

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    When I was a wood burner the first thing we did in the morning was clean out the ash pit. Now when I visit my wood burner friends they don't do that because most everything is blown out the stack in the form of sparks. Their blowers have nozzles that churn the flames and gasses around achieving the maximum amount of combustion and it blows the ash out the stack.
    Haynes, I get no sparks with high pressure AOF, but did before I added that. I have high pressure Air over fire (AOF) and high pressure air under fire (AUF). My blower is turned on after about 1 minute of lighting the fire and does not get shut off until after the coals at the end of the boil are nearly gone. With AOF the sparks are consumed under the pans, well before they exit the stack, Ash does blow out the stack but with no visible sparks, even on the darkest nights.
    I have a forge, but I use no blast gate to adjust, however mine is a #400 hand crank blower, not an electric.
    Last edited by maple flats; 08-28-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The CDL 3x10 a friend has pumps sparks 20 ft into the air and the screen at the top is packed with sparks. Its impressive.

I watched a 2 man competitive farrier team that made just the horse shoe. They had their forge set up with a blast gate and a big lever that they used to regulate the flow with. They were using Coke as the fuel and they would walk up to the forge and slap the steel into the coals and hit the lever things came alive. So I stole their idea.

I really like the idea of the blast gate but I'm starting to think that the gate itself is maybe making things more complicated then they need to be. I already have to wire up a blower so I think a simple on off switch by the door would be much easier. Kinda like the one in this video by Smoky lake.
    http://https://youtu.be/HQPYXBiGheM
    If it works for a big producer then it must work pretty well. Yeah it won't be instant on/off as the fan speeds up and slows down but I can wait a couple seconds. Simpler is better right?
    Jake
    24x12 sugar house

Sure.

If you want to save on electricity you can have your wife crank it by hand and then you don't need the switch then you can just slap her up side the head to stop cranking right before you open the door. Glad we could help.

That last post was strictly meant. tongue in cheek.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast