+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My homemade arch project

Thanks haynes. I wasn't going to use any kind of nozzle, I was going to bolt the blower to the back of the ash compartment. Then the air would come up through the grates was my thinking. If it needs to be bigger I will just get a bigger one.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Well now were getting closer to your needs. Have you ever just played around with a leaf blower blasting into your draft door? That will give you a good indication of what you will get BUT in reverse. I know guys that did just that and made a mess of the place without as much gain as they had hoped. You might consider a better grate system to get a more even distribution of the air coming up. Just making a whirlwind inside the combustion chamber will create more heat but will it make your pans more efficient?

What kind of grates do you suggest? Upside down angle? Ive seen that on here before. I cant say that I have ever used a leaf blower in the draft door because I have never had anything with a draft door, although it sounds like something I would try! I used a turkey fryer my first year and last year was a cheapo barrel stove. Im honestly flying by the seat of my pants on this build. Im just trying to use ideas Ive seen on here to make a half way decent arch. Any improvments or help is greatly appreciated.
    Jake
    24x12 sugar house

Just try that blower as you had planned and see how it works. If you need more air try one about 2-3X the air, but in case it is too much, just make a "gate" to restrict the air inlet to the blower. Then you can just regulate it by partially closing the inlet air to the blower. The blower motor does better that way than using a rheostat. Some motors don't like running on a rheostat, rather than trying to figure out if your motor will run well using a rheostat, just make an adjustable inlet cover, all motors do well on them and they cost nothing to make. It can be a simple as a teardrop shape cover attached to the inlet side out beyond the area where the spinning squirrel cage is turning, just use a sheet metal screw or better yet a pop rivet. Test to be sure the fastener does not interfere with the spinning. The small one you have may not need one, but try it and see.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

When I was a wood burner the first thing we did in the morning was clean out the ash pit. Now when I visit my wood burner friends they don't do that because most everything is blown out the stack in the form of sparks. Their blowers have nozzles that churn the flames and gasses around achieving the maximum amount of combustion and it blows the ash out the stack.

If you only want to blow some air around I would suggest grates that help restrict the air into a more orderly/spread out pattern. I have seen a simple rack system covered with fire brick with holes or slits in them to spread out the air. Because the air is blown in and you don't have a need for an ash pit you wont lose much room. You still need a higher output blower that you can restrict down.

differant woods will take differat amounts of air just like starting the fire requires let air to start. Give yourself options but don't undersize anything.

On a 2x6 I think they recommend about 260 cfm of air so you will need a little more than what you have. A piece of duct tape partially covering the intake works well also.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

So the concensus is bigger blower, then restrict down the intake if needed, got it. I like the idea of the adjustable gate maple flats. That way I can play with it and see what works best. Once I am able to do a test boil I might have to play around with the grate options to get optimal combustion.
    Jake
    24x12 sugar house

Nice looking project.It should make some excelect syrup. I think your fan is going to need that restriction plate installed, like mentioned. I have a similar fan on my halfpint and usually have to restrict the intake by 1/2 or more. Like was said, the cutoff plate works well and I think is better than a rheostat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Self-Clea...ss!80111!US!-1

I have built a few blacksmiths forges and we put the blast gate on the discharge side of the blower. We then had a simple pull and push handle to open and close the air off completely so when you needed to adjust the heat you simply pulled the lever to your desired needs.

In the case of your evaporator when you need to open the door to load wood you slap the gate closed and the natural draft takes over sucking air into the arch doors allowing for a clean and safe loading. Efficiency of your evaporator is based on keeping the heat at maximum levels and that includes getting the door open and wood stuffed in ASAP the door closed and the air back up to 100%.

If you want to see an guy jump up and let out a warning scream just start to open his fire door before closing off the fan. on a intensofire arch. Now if you want to block off the intake and set the flow rate with a restricter plate and use the blast to turn on and off the air during firing. I see guys adjusting the arch air as the day and conditions change so quick adjustment is a nice feature.

I have mine adjusted so I can just open the door without shutting off the AUF and I never lose the boil. I have increased the airflow to needing to shut down the blower when opening the door but while burning hotter it did not increase my boil rate. It just sent more heat and sparks out the chimney. You will have to play to see what works best for you.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast