+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump exhaust

Default Pump exhaust

Would a tractor muffler work for and muffler for a vacuum pump?

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Yes it would but not as well as a Vacuum muffler or similar design. What style pump are you using? Oil pumps emit oil mist that needs to be addressed. The thing about lets say a tractor is it exhausts both dirty air at high CFM's and Noise where a vacuum pump under vacuum is mainly noise. Plus you don't want any back pressure on a vacuum pump exhaust.

The best one I have made and used was a heat duct about 10" with very course fiberglass rolled up on the inside. You don't need to wad it up tight louse is best. I used end caps to make a closed container. Then I used a 2" PVC threaded bushing on the intake side to attach the pipe from the pump into it. and I used a hole saw on the exhaust side to allow the little air to exit and the fiberglass absorbed the noise. I was able to have a normal conversation next to the pump.

My pump uses oil. To deal with the oil mist I figured to use a 90 off the pump then a T running vertical, I would add about 6" of the pipe and cap with valve for drain in the bottom to act as a oil collection and then have the muffler attached to the top of the T.

My biggest concern was if a tractor muffler would create any type of back pressure the way they're designed and I'm not furmiliar with vacuum style mufflers on how they're designed.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

OK so you need to combine a muffler with an oil reclaimer and that is a different dynamic. combustion engine muffler will clog up with the oil and become ineffective with oil build up. One of the best ways to get oil to separate from the oil is to get the vapor to slow down and form droplets and drop to the bottom of the tank.

I'll just have to get a vacuum pump muffler and a reclaimed. Thanks for the input! Sorry for the slow response.

I have used an automotive muffler with a reclaimer
    It worked fine
    I used it pointing down with a bucket under it to catch any residual oil

+ Reply to Thread