+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rectangular flue stack question

Default Rectangular flue stack question

I'm wondering what the best size as far as a width and depth would be for creating my exhaust flue area on my oil tank evaporator I'm building now?
    I put a 6-inch ledge 4 a preheater pan 9 in above the other level I'll include a picture to show what I'm talking about, so I'm wanting to put a rectangular exhaust out of the top of my oil tank so that the flame get spread out along more of the pan to create a more efficient boil as I've seen this in commercially made evaporators ( wondering what's best size to create this opening in top of my oil tank?)
    I can go as wide as 24 in which is the width of My preheater Pan and as deep front to back on the evaporator length of the oil tank 3 in...
    Thanks MattIMG_20180817_145326562.jpg

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Matt In my humble opinion is your going to get a lot of heat to the pans without any help from the exhaust/flue stack area. I like the transition from the firebox to the back of the arch. I think you might consider the design a 2 part pan set up because your warming pan is going to have direct flame contact. You might be surprised to find the sap simmering or even boiling.

My assumption is your plan is to come out the top of the rounded "archway" with the flue stack and I believe at that point it won't have much effect on the pans below as long as you use a size that isn't restrictive. You don't want it to small BUT to big and your draft will suck all the heat out also so. You can always restrict your stack but you cant force a NATURAL draft. Nice looking configuration good luck and keep us in the loop.

IMG_20180818_084517376.jpg
    Picture of tank part I have left from creating opening...
    It's sitting on top where I plan on cutting it into exhaust opening.this leftover part needs cut down to size still I just set it on top to show approximately how/ where I plan on putting opening in evaporator top to get fire to lick bottom of preheater pan...

You just boggled my mind I don't see what that is.

Let me show a picture of what evaporator top looks like without leftover part sitting on top...IMG_20180817_145344276.jpg
    See if comparing picture s helps at all, I guess it's easier for me to visualize it because I know what I'm trying to build I just am unsure of how big to cut the opening in the top of the oil tank evaporator to do a good job?

Here's a different viewIMG_20180817_145304345.jpg

I'm going to show a outline with duct tape in next picture, give me a few...

Here's what I'm getting at...
    Shown on inside duct tape line shows 2" wide exhaust flue opening proposed area on top edge of oil tank evaporator...
    IMG_20180818_141236018.jpg
    Im leaning more towards a rectangle opening that measures 12" long by 2" wide which will be cut out/welded into top of oil tank that I could then attach a stove boot that would measure 12"by 2" and taper up to my 6" stove pipe( I have excellent draft due to 14' of stack height that vents through my roof)
    I just wondered what experience anyone has with doing this type of stack to mimic what I've seen in commercially made evaporators to spread out the flames from fire box some ,compared to just a 6" round flue opening...

Here's another view...IMG_20180818_141140093.jpg
    The ledge area 9" up from 27"by48" evaporator pan area is where I'll have a 24"by 6" by 8" deep preheater ( built above so I can utilize a ball valve to open to add preheated sap from warmer into large evaporator pan...

I know this sounds silly but your not spreading the flame/hot gasses out. Your forcing them back into a smaller area if you go with a smaller stack. I think its a good plan. Its more work but hey that's what we do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast