+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from NE Ohio

Default Hi from NE Ohio

As I said in another post, I have been stalki--uh, studying this site for a while and wanted to actually say hi. I live in Geauga County, Ohio, and after many attempts and setbacks, my family and I are finally in a position to make some liquid gold!

We are starting small, with the hopes of eventually tapping the farm of our ancestors, where I currently reside--it turned 200 years old this past February--if we like it and get the hang of it. We have a Leader Half Pint arch with extension and blower, and a 2 X 5 divided flat pan with preheater pan made by Creekside Welding in Girard, PA. The true length of the arch with extension is 5' 6", but from all I have read here about the Half Pint not getting enough heat at the very front, I figured this would let us set the pan back 6". See, told you I have been stalki--er--studying!

Below is a picture of the pan--David at Creekside does some great work--and the start of our little sugarhouse. It is being erected on my parents' 60 acres across town, and we plan to start with 40-50 taps.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and continuing to learn here. Will update on our progress as we make our way into the season.

Ty

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Welcome and just to let you know the addiction just gets worse. I would set your preheating pan down on the arch since you have room instead of on top of the other pan. You can set it in front and draw off in the back if you want. You will get a better boil rate with better use of your heat. You may just have to add another port to the divided pan.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Hey
    Great to see Geauga County strongly represented here on the trader! I live just north of you in Montville. Welcome to the addition, and like others say, it does get worse, (or better?) anyway lots of great resources on this site as well all around our great county. Enjoy and im sure ill see you around

Harrisville, New Hampshire, United States

Nice! I just sent him a deposit on a complete 2 x 6 setup! Seems like a great guy too!
    Two years boiling on a Leader half pint
    2011 100 buckets,12 gallons made
    2013 120 on tubeing 20 buckets 27 gallons made
    2014 Leader King 2 x 6 Working on 400 + on tubeing
    goal: 70 gallons

+ Reply to Thread