+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree Identification

Default Tree Identification

Can someone please help me confirm that these are sugar maple leaves? 2019 will be my first year making maple syrup and I'll be starting small. I'm trying to get my scouting done now.

IMG_0552.jpg

not sugar maple. Look up Sugar Maple leaves in any search engine and you will get several pictures. Also get a copy of any tree ID book, or the North American Maple Syrup Producers manual, or The Sugarmaker's Companion or likely even The Back Yard Sugaring. They will help far more than we could with just words.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Tap all maples they all produce sap and syrup. Unless you are only going to tap a limited number. If that’s the case then yes search for sugar maples otherwise if it is a maple tap it!
    Jared

If they exude white sap from the fresh leaf cuts this time of year its a Norway Maple or one of its ornamental variants. Its probably a red maple or one of its ornamental variants. That's about all I tap and they make great tasting syrup, just a lot of boiling.
    Last edited by Ed R; 08-16-2018 at 10:29 AM.

On a maple, to my knowledge, all points of the leaf come to a point, on those in your picture most side ones are rounded on the tip. Can you post a picture of the bark? I will try to I.D. it.
    The pictures you show are similar to many maples but are different. Are the leaves opposite or alternate?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Take a picture of a branch coming off the trunk and one of the whole tree plus a close up of a branch showing how the leaves grow and are arranged. Once those are posted I will try to I.D. the tree

I was wondering what type of maple this is. Any thoughts? Thanks. IMG_9471.JPGIMG_9472.JPGIMG_9473.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$1000 Pancakes, that is a red maple.
    Savage3006, post the pictures to help.

To the op: That pic MIGHT be a maple, but it looks more than somewhat like some type of fig leaf. Google fig leaves for a bunch of pics. I been wrong before, but...
    take care, Mark

3006, according to my tree identification books those are all White poplar (populus alba)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast