+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tree Identification

Savage3006, I believe you have a bigtooth Maple. We sold a few in the garden center, but it's been a while since I saw one.

I don't think so, on big tooth maple major lobes come to a sharp point in my tree ID book.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Ok Dave, I was going from memory, but the shape looked right.....it's been a few years since I saw one. Leaves can vary a lot, if we could see the tree we'd know pretty quick.

The basic shape is similar.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Sorry for never getting back to you all. I determined that they are Italian maple trees and I never got around to checking your responses. Thank you to all who took the time to help me out.

I have settled on tapping silver maples for my first year. It’s a small operation, I’m just hoping to get a gallon for home. I’ll try again to find sugar maples that I can tap this summer.

Did any of you tap yet? These few nice days have me itching to go, but I see another cold snap coming, so I think I’ll wait for the next warm up.

Definitely does not look like Italian maple. Try looking up field maple. Not sure it they're actually a maple though, if memory serves me right I think field maple is in the soapberry family.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

It looks something like a tree i saw in San Diego last week. I was thinking no way was it really a maple even if the leaves looked similar. Also, I didn't see any lines or sugar houses so it couldn't been tapable.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I believe you’re probably right. The seeds are rather distinct and that is enough to convince me. Either way, it’s not a tree I’ll be tapping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12