+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AUF Question

Default AUF Question

According to the Vermont Maple research paper you need 12 3/8 holes per square foot in the floor
    of your firebox. Also, there isn't supposed to be any holes 8 inches from the doors.

So how do you figure it? Square foot total and no holes in front of the doors?
    Or, just the square foot of the floor minus the 8 inches from the front?
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

I'm in the middle of building a new oil tank evaporator and I'm glad you asked this b/ c I didn't know not to put holes within 8" of door

Are 3/8" holes correct size for any application?

This is how W.F. Mason set up my AUF. He made 3/4" holes, 2 per brick and the bricks start at the door. My arch also has air blowing into the fire from the front which makes a big difference. I was using my original wood fired arch with AUF without an airtight front before. I saw my evap rate increase more than 50% and my production increase from 5 gals. of syrup per hour to 8 gals. per hour boiling 14% concentrate.

IMG_20171224_101014865[1].jpgIMG_20171224_100914175[1].jpg
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

You put the 12 holes/sq ft, 3/8" diameter in all except the 8" from the door.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Is the sq ft just the footprint of the firebox size or the sq ft of the footprint of entire pan/ fire traveling path area?

I just noticed Patty Mountain showed floor of the Firebox, I'm guessing the reason for not putting holes with an 8in of the door is to eliminate fire blowing out of door when opened. I'm wondering if you turn fan off or way down before opening door you can get away with putting holes closer to the door to maximize air injected Into the Fire?

I'm not trying to hijack the original post either, but all questions are good I feel as long as you're getting quality answers back. Another question I have is I have a piece of 2 in electrical metallic tubing that I just had laying around here that I plan on using for the air Under Fire tube to feed it into my fire box but I'm wondering is will it get too hot and damage it?

my original thought was to weld it into the evaporator in the very bottom but the more that I'm thinking about it I think I'm going to leave it fit so that I can remove it if it gets damaged or I want to alter it after burning and see how it works out is my latest thought, I will be doing this part of the project within a week and I'm ordering a custom-built 27" by 48" flat pan ( I batch boil and it works out for so far)

no need to worry about hijacking this thread!
    Dave and Russell: I just figured it out and I'm 5 holes shy . It calculates out to 2.75 square foot. That should
    be 33 holes, right now I'm at 28. I'll get them drilled out, and also, I am using dust collection gate valves on my air delivery
    pipe. I want to put in two 4" ball valves, the others leak a ton of air. I need to put in a stack temp gauge too. Currently using
    a laser temp sensor. I'm getting about 325 degrees on the outside of the stack above my steam hood, but what does that mean?
    The stack probe will be way more accurate. I'm hoping to pick up 3/4 gph with a little tuning, right now I've just let my air where it is, because
    I feel without knowing the actual stack temp I'm just guessing anyway.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Quote Originally Posted by Paddymountain View Post
    I need to put in a stack temp gauge too. Currently using a laser temp sensor. I'm getting about 325 degrees on the outside of the stack above my steam hood, but what does that mean? The stack probe will be way more accurate.
    I have a laser thermometer too and don't know where to set the emittance to get a correct reading. I can't find an emittance chart that gives a setting for patina'd stainless steel. I'm going to get a stack probe too so that I can fine tune my blower.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

While it does not stick to SS I use a magnetic probe, it has about a 6" probe into the stack. With AOF/AUF I get temps of about 650-800F Occasionally I see temps of 850 but that is unusual. With just AUF you will likely see temps of 900-1100F if I recall.
    I fuel by a timer set at 9 minutes when I have mostly good solid hardwood and 8 minutes if I have some punky wood or softwood. My wood is all split fine (wrist size or smaller) and it is well seasoned. I do not have the floor with holes in it, I just have the original grates, then under the grates I have a heavy wall stove pipe (20 ga.) 4" diameter which extends from the back to about 6" from the front. In that I have 3 rows of air holes that are 5/16" spaced every 2-2.5", one row top center, and one each facing towards the outer edge of the grates. My AUF also uses the high pressure blower for the AOF so those may not work if you have a squirrel cage blower.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast