+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you tap a crimson red maple

Default Can you tap a crimson red maple

My small town has Probably 100 crimson red maples in it . They were planted in 1975 so there all mature.
    Has anyone ever tapped one. Just curious what the results were if you have . I'd hate to not utilize a good resource.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

Yes you can. A Crimson Maple is just a variant of a Norway Maple. They're not the most reliable tree as far as when they run (or not), but the sap is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody77 View Post
    My small town has Probably 100 crimson red maples in it . They were planted in 1975 so there all mature.
    Has anyone ever tapped one. Just curious what the results were if you have . I'd hate to not utilize a good resource.
    I have only one Rule when it comes to tree selection, if it's a maple I tap it , I don't care what kind it is. They make good syrup and having tapped all kinds of Maples will give your syrup a unique flavor.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread