+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to plant small saplings?

Quote Originally Posted by mapleyooper View Post
    I was thinking that if I kept them close I could possible fence them for a few seasons and it'd make watering easier. If I let them put on 2-3' or so would it be too late to transplant them again, or am I just making too much work for myself?
    fence would be good but I have had damage from rabbits,woodchucks,beaver, mice,voles,&even vulchers as well as deer. My thought on transplanting is that even if you get it done before they get to large, you'll still damage roots & at the very least stunt growth. It would be work(time) as well. If your not spending much ,$ on saplings that's different. Most of my maple saplings have cost $14.00-$25.00 each. I have planted some free ones, but not many. I have found success just planting some everyyear therefore spreading out the work, & money. Also if you plant then have a record drought it's hard to save them. If there's fewer to water, easier.
    35 years making syrup.
    President of Ohio maple producers
    4000 taps today...hopefully 5000 soon with some high yields tapped in 10 years?
    Leader Dealer
    Mountain cur for a woods partner

I grow mine from seed in pots buried in the ground and mulched for year one then trans plant. They do way better when transplanting. I plant them in the fall (late september). And mulch around them for the first year. I don't water them ever if they live they live.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

Looking to relocate saplings this year. Roughly 6-12" naturally grown at random. Move at anytime ground is thawed or wait til a certain month/specific height?

Quote Originally Posted by needmoremaples View Post
    Looking to relocate saplings this year. Roughly 6-12" naturally grown at random. Move at anytime ground is thawed or wait til a certain month/specific height?
    Move them when the ground is thawed. This will give them time to make new roots to replace the damaged ones otherwise when the trees push leaves there wont be enough roots to support it.
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

If you plant in the spring do it as soon as you can dig. This gives them time to come out of dormancy and the ground is usually fairly moist for the first month after frost comes out + the ground is less compacted in the spring allowing roots to grow down. I have personally had better luck in the fall. I think the tree wakes up in the spring with less stress.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12