+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Back Side of Wood Fired Pans

Default Cleaning Back Side of Wood Fired Pans

Has anyone used anything like Walnut Shell Blasting to clean the stuck on carbon off from back side of Flue Pans? If so, what were the results. My flue pan has a lot of thick buildup that does not come off with pressure washing. Last year I tried Oven Cleaner with some results, but it did not take it all off. Plus was nasty to use and could not get it to spray down in the flues without blowing back. My thought is if I can get them cleaned good, then maybe I can get a little better boil and keep up with the cleaning using my pressure washer.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I had a guy bead blast,,,,, plastic beads. Done of a good job got most but not all. I've heard that soda,,, backing soda will take stainless back to almost mirror finish.
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

Did the plastic beads leave any marks?
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I have a barrel stove with a 18 x 24 pan so it's a little smaller than what you have. I put a thin coat of Dawn dish washing detergent on the bottom of the pan "before" cooking, the carbon washes of with a water hose. Of course the trick is not to get any detergent in the pan or it will flavor the syrup. This is an old boy scout trick.
    I have no idea if this slows the heat transfer the rig boils off 5 GPH all day long.

I just use a brush for the under side. If that does not clean it (to a dull clean) you have fire issues. When you burn hot enough nothing builds up and gets hard to brush off.
    A few things that can cause the under side to clean hard:
    1. wet wood
    2. not enough air
    3. not fueling often enough

There may also be other causes.

I never found it necessary for the bottom of either pan to shine like new, but you do not want a build up to accumulate.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I use a peace of copper pipe flattened at one end like a chisel, I even use it on the inside and have yet to see a scratch from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2015 Year 4 200 taps - 15 Gallons
    2016 Year 5 200 taps - 23 gallons
    2017 Year 6 200 Buckets, 100 on 3/16 gravity)
    2018 Year 7 200 Buckets , 175 on 3/16 with shurflo 4008

Patrick Phaneuf 2x6 raised flue
    Polaris 6x6, 1990 Alpine Ski-doo
    Sugar shack - 12X24 with 8x14 wood shed

Haynes Forest Products Guest

My intention is not to ridicule but rubbing high carbon particles of a mirror finish with Balsa wood and cotton balls will dull the finish. If the goal is to keep it clean without working to hard at it. I vote for Ez off extra strength and red scotch brite pads. Power washing helps.

I need a second person to help get the flue pan in and out, so for whatever reason, I didn't get to it last year. I use a flue brush between boils and I can't say I saw any drop in boil rate. Still haven't done it yet this year. Probably will clean it, but if I don't... we'll see what happens.

Dave, I have to disagree about the heavy soot only being a result of firing issues. At the end of my boil, after I flood the pan, I bring it back to a quick hard boil with some pine. It's hot enough to bring the back pan to a boil, but not the raging heat I get during a long boil. I also do maintenance boils when the pans sit for a while. Those aren't that hot either and I also use a lot of pine for those.

I think those smaller fires will have the same soot results as firing issues, but may not be from firing issues per se. That said, I think during the next boil, a good fire will burn off a lot of that extra soot or at least make it flakey enough that it comes off with my brush between boils - but who knows. I haven't seen my flues in two years!
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I haven't seen the under side of mine since 2012, when I first set these pans in place. Mine boils very well. I do not however run those little boils you speak of.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I'm with you Dave on the haven't seen it for a long time comment. The last time I tried to clean it I made the mistake of propping it up on its end spraying it with 409 cleaner and hitting it with the power washer inside my shack. The carbon billowed all over the place turning the place into the UNLIMITED CLASS at the tractor pulls.. What a ^&%%%^mess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast