+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning Back Side of Wood Fired Pans

I was looking for experience using Walnut shells in a blaster or similar material to clean up the pans. I was not looking for criticism on wether my fire is burning correctly or how you never clean your pans. I specifically said I was not looking to try Oven Cleaner again. It makes me wonder if some of you actually read the original questions asked in these posts.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Sorry, BAP. No disrespect intended, just some hot (now cold) stove talk about how people deal with the undersides of their flues. It's a slow time on the Trader.

I don't have any experience with walnut casings, but the upside to people chiming in is it gives the thread a bump, so eventually someone who has tried walnut casings will see the topic.

And, Haynes' stories always make me laugh.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Did the plastic beads leave any marks?
    No,,, really didn't get all of the carbon off. Left a slight black tinge of carbon. Now I had made a power scrubber by tying,,,, sewing,,, green Scotch Brite pads to a limber piece of wood,,, about like a yard stick and and almost as long and then taped to a saw-all blade and used saw-all. Have to have a limber stick so not to get too rough on thin metal Works good in between flues. I have drop flues so probably not going to work very well on raised flues back in ends of flues
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    I was looking for experience using Walnut shells in a blaster or similar material to clean up the pans. I was not looking for criticism on wether my fire is burning correctly or how you never clean your pans. I specifically said I was not looking to try Oven Cleaner again. It makes me wonder if some of you actually read the original questions asked in these posts.
    Woah! I think you should sit back and stop insulting those that are trying to help. The above was completely uncalled for!
    2020 -30 trees 32 taps. ~900 L sap; 27.1L Syrup.
    2019 -27 trees 31 taps. ~725 L sap; 22.2L Syrup.
    2018 -19 Trees 20 taps. ~750 L sap; 18 L Syrup
    2017 -4 trees 4 taps. ~60 L sap; 1.5 L Syrup

Quote Originally Posted by paulslund View Post
    Woah! I think you should sit back and stop insulting those that are trying to help. The above was completely uncalled for!
    No it wasn’t because they were insulting me by saying I didn’t know how to have a proper fire and weren’t answering the actual question I asked. There is too much of that going on lately on here of not answering the actual questions people are asking but instead telling people that they themselves are the only ones who do it right. There has been a lot of know it alls who aren’t actually reading the posts before answering including some of the moderators. I am not being rude and appreciate all that people post, but when a thread is started with asking a specific question, the answers people post should answer that question not going off on a different tangent.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbush Ridge View Post
    No,,, really didn't get all of the carbon off. Left a slight black tinge of carbon. Now I had made a power scrubber by tying,,,, sewing,,, green Scotch Brite pads to a limber piece of wood,,, about like a yard stick and and almost as long and then taped to a saw-all blade and used saw-all. Have to have a limber stick so not to get too rough on thin metal Works good in between flues. I have drop flues so probably not going to work very well on raised flues back in ends of flues
    Thank You, I was wondering if that might be how it would work. It is hard to get that last little bit off.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'

We are not trying to insult the way you burn your fire.
    My comment on having a fire problem was explained away when you said you flood the pan and then warm it with a medium pine fueled fire.
    My thoughts on cleaning the bottom to a shine are that it will only look like that until your first fire of the next season. If you brush the bottom and keep the pans dry any soot that remains will not harm the SS. I have never heard of anyone cleaning using walnut hull media (but I used to use it to polish brass ammo cases in prep. for reloading, I now use SS media in a tumbler for that).
    In your original post you say that you think if you could get the pans truly clean on the underside that you might be able to keep it clean using your power washer. Does that mean you would wash it daily in place, I think not. And a full season of regular burning, if you keep flooding the pans and warm them with pine but not to a hard boil will get you back to the same as what you now have. I say, if you want to persue it, put water in your head tank, fire the evaporator to a hard boil for 30 minutes and then let the fire burn out. I then think the bottom will brush clean without any pressure washing or oven cleaner or blasting with walnut hull media or beads.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

BAP,,,,, Now i'm sure many people click that blue circle and that takes people to the news post and not back to the original post so they only seeing the last couple comments and if they got a little off the thread gets way off. some only go to the last page
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12