+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the need for a walk in cooler.

We pack our drums 160°+, put in a 40' con ex box and walk away. Checked them over the weekend, box was well over 100° syrup was cool to the touch and drums we're sunk in still.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    Perry were not picking on anyone were having a discussion. I just never knew there was such a need for one. Every thread is an open discussion and we all learn from the discussion that's all. This thread was not directed at anyone just a question.
    Haynes you are kind of picking on people with your attitude that comes across as a know it all in many of your threads.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    We pack our drums 160°+, put in a 40' con ex box and walk away. Checked them over the weekend, box was well over 100° syrup was cool to the touch and drums we're sunk in still.
    I am not sure I would be bragging that you store your syrup that was packaged at only 160 degrees in a 100 degrees storage space. That’s a pretty poor image to come across to consumers who are open to reading this forum.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

The need or desire for a "cooler" of some type likely completely depends upon what you do with the syrup you make. If you end up with some opened and partially filled barrels that are going to sit around for a while in the summer as many of us in the retail trade do, keeping that syrup cold is likely a good idea unless you don't mind dealing with some mold. I currently use a chest freezer to keep 5 gal. jugs cold if the need arises and I also have access to a walk-in cooler at the commercial kitchen I rent.

I have met a couple traders through the years as well as other ag. producers that were using "coolbots" to refrigerate product. These seem like a way better option than a true "walk-in" for occasional storage needs during the warmer months as they merely require a well insulated room, an air-conditioner and a controller to keep the space at a desired temp. The facility I rent uses the coolbot concept to keep the meat processing rooms at about 50 F. I'm considering building a small coolbot room to be able to store a few drums of syrup in if the need arises...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    I am not sure I would be bragging that you store your syrup that was packaged at only 160 degrees in a 100 degrees storage space. That’s a pretty poor image to come across to consumers who are open to reading this forum.
    poor image? Its called stability plain and simple. My point is, properly made syrup is stable. In a clean SS drum filtered syrup will keep when hot packed. What do you think Canada does with their drums? They sit inside and outside in the heat, in the sun and it doesn't change anything.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    The need or desire for a "cooler" of some type likely completely depends upon what you do with the syrup you make. If you end up with some opened and partially filled barrels that are going to sit around for a while in the summer as many of us in the retail trade do, keeping that syrup cold is likely a good idea unless you don't mind dealing with some mold. I currently use a chest freezer to keep 5 gal. jugs cold if the need arises and I also have access to a walk-in cooler at the commercial kitchen I rent.

I have met a couple traders through the years as well as other ag. producers that were using "coolbots" to refrigerate product. These seem like a way better option than a true "walk-in" for occasional storage needs during the warmer months as they merely require a well insulated room, an air-conditioner and a controller to keep the space at a desired temp. The facility I rent uses the coolbot concept to keep the meat processing rooms at about 50 F. I'm considering building a small coolbot room to be able to store a few drums of syrup in if the need arises...
    We have a room with bulk tanks that uses a small heat/cool pump with a Coolbot. It sits at 50 deg works great! I also have a customer that uses one at 34° for meat , he's had the coolbot 8 years and just replaced the window unit 3 years ago. That's a huge savings.
    Last edited by fred; 08-08-2018 at 06:05 AM.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer

Haynes Forest Products Guest

BAP I feel so much better knowing your out there ready at a moments notice to point out everyone's shortcomings. Remember you have an ignore button I suggest you use it. I don't believe there was anything condescending in this thread that I started.

Clearly BAP has a one up on me as I'm only 30 years in with only 20,000 gallons going my store annually.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer

This thread will bring the ratings back up....been pretty quiet around here.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12