+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let’s talk barrels

I have used them on all barrels from 16 gal up to 40 gal, from a simple flat doubled over lip to a rounded lip like on many syrup barrels, they do not damage the lip. They actually grip just below the lip, the lip only gives it a stopping point so it can't raise up. I have used them for at least 5-6 years.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Go with stainless. The 40 gal. barrels are easier to handle for me. We've dealt with 55 gal. epoxy lined barrels and you have to be very careful applying air pressure to them, they will pop up very easily. Also, you're continually finding chunks of epoxy coating in the syrup.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

My supplier will sell me steel epoxy lined drums for $40.00 but there ONE WAY ONLY they recycle them after one use. Times are a changing for the better and it will cost you money to play but in the long run its for the better.

Thanks Dave for the info on the clamp.

Thanks for the replies.

We’re breaking ground this weekend putting up a new garage and converting the existing garage to a licensed kitchen.
    We’ve got about 400 sq ft to work with and we’re trying to stuff a small walk-in cooler in there along with all the other necessities.
    Things might get a little tight, so keeping the foot print of the cooler right sized is a concern.
    We’re thinking to size it for up to four 55 gallon barrels and a handful of 5 gallon containers, but start out using 30 or 40 gallon drums.
    Good to know that there is enough flexibility in barrel size in the bulk market to accommodate our plans.

I like the lift Dave linked to, just one thought…if the jaws aren’t positioned exactly 180* apart, won’t that barrel tip slightly?
    I’ve got to lower the barrel onto a set of casters to get it in the kitchen.
    I don’t see it as much of an issue as long as the jaws aren’t wildly off position, but I don’t have any experience in this yet.

I don’t have any trouble lifting 5 gallon containers, but I wouldn’t want to try 10 gallons, let alone 30, 40 or 55.
    Much as I like my doctor, an annual visit is more than enough…glove snapping vampire, that one there.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Good discussion and I don't want to divert from the topic so Ill start a new thread about walk in coolers.

You can set it on casters easily. While you do want the clamps opposite each other, it only needs to be by eye, you don't need to measure. When I haul a full barrel to the sugarhouse, I do just one at a time and I set them on an 8 wheel dolly. The start of the floor just inside the door is poured on a slight slope, maybe 3" in 5' slope. I position the dolly with 2 of the eight wheels off the edge of the concrete and set the barrel on it without issue. When I haul full barrels from a storage unit about 1/4 mile away, I haul 2 or 3 barrels at a time, that is why I own 3 sets of the clamps. When I have my weight box on the back of the tractor I can lift and haul 3 full barrels, if no weight box I only lift 1 or the rear tires spin trying to get out of the driveway onto the road from the sugarhouse when there is snow or ice on the driveway.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12