+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New in Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Ltr77 View Post
    I am in Mount Vernon, just Northwest of Augusta. Plan is a funny word, I plan on eventually tapping a few hundred, my immediate goals however are significantly more humble. I am hoping to tap up to 30 this next year. Last year we did 20.
    Welcome to the site, though I am posting this somewhat late! I too am in Mount Vernon...small world. I built a concrete block arch lined with brick that supports three steam trays. In conjunction with a stand alone warming stove with one tray I can do 60+ gallons of sap in a days boil. We had 18 or so taps on 2018 for 7 gallons of syrup and are looking to do 24 this season. No problems with the blocks cracking as the brick keeps the heat down. Besides at $1.65 each it's cheap to repair.

Best of luck this season!
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Welcome to the site. Everyone here is very knowledgeable when it comes to the various parts of sugaring. We are all here to help. I too started with cinder block arch outside and it was fun. Now I have built a sugarhouse and have a small evaporator and it has made a huge difference.
    Pure Mountain Maple
    Lapierre Mini-Pro
    12x16 sugarhouse
    John Deere 1050 4wd
    John Deere 2130 HFWD
    2- 35 gallon leg tanks, one 65 gallon leg tank
    100 gallon sap feed-tank
    Started with 12 buckets on a flat pan 2013
    2023 - 55 taps. all buckets

I went from barrel stove to concrete block a couple years back and like it better.
    More flexibility in firebox capacity height, width and length wise means less tending. I am at 3 blocks high.
    Some blocks crack but going on 3rd season with same blocks . They will still hold together cracked.
    The stovepipe out the back takes a bit of engineering but can be done with a
    little ingenuity.
    Last edited by woodsy; 01-23-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12