+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bourbon Barrel Syrup

I don't know about Vermont, but in New York State you can not add anything to the syrup unless you list it on the label.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I fill my barrels to the top, then the only air space is from when the syrup cools. My thought on turning the barrels is to help blend the flavor. If the barrel is aged static it seems (and I'm only guessing) that the syrup in contact with the barrel would take on the flavor but that in the center would not. I realize as you empty the barrel it will get blended but would you gain as much flavor in the same time span if you leave the same portion of the syrup in direct contact with the char? The flavor is in the char from when the barrel was used to distill the bourbon.
    My method works perfectly for me and I will not change the part about turning the barrel. I may however try to find an easier way to keep the staves swelled.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes, I tried one of your ideas. I put one of the large plastic bags that come in cases of plastic syrup jugs over the barrel now aging. I spray with a mist of clean water, then put the bag on. It did help a little. I now only need to spray every second day. As I spray I turn the barrel. I never tried to do it without turning the barrel and even on that first year when I set up the automatic misting every 12 hrs, I turned each barrel about 1-2 times a week.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

For about $150.00 for a cheap irrigation controller a selinoid valve and some mister heads you can set up a automatic system to water your barrels every day 3 times for a few minutes.
    Heck with a relay and some rollers a washing machine motor and big belt you can use the master valve option and it will spin your barel as it waters it.

Dave——I bottled our first batch of bourbon barrel aged syrup this past weekend. After 3 months of aging in the 5 gallon barrel it came out with a mellow, not overpowering bourbon flavor. Very good. Nice addition to our product line. Thanks for your advice on this.
    I am wondering what to do with the barrel now. You mentioned that you had used yours for planters. How did you clean them out? Did you you split them? Any other ideas out there on what to do with a used bourbon barrel?

2020: 317 taps, 2021: 360, 2022: 350 2023: 300, 2024: 230 (getting smarter)
    Drop lines and hanging buckets, all hand lugged
    2 X 6 raised flue evaporator
    7in. Filter press
    17 HP Kubota tractor
    12 X 16' sugar shack
    Sugar and red maples

Quote Originally Posted by maineboiler View Post
    Dave——I bottled our first batch of bourbon barrel aged syrup this past weekend. After 3 months of aging in the 5 gallon barrel it came out with a mellow, not overpowering bourbon flavor. Very good. Nice addition to our product line. Thanks for your advice on this.
    I am wondering what to do with the barrel now. You mentioned that you had used yours for planters. How did you clean them out? Did you you split them? Any other ideas out there on what to do with a used bourbon barrel?
    Find a home brewer, they would like to buy a small one like that. I sell my 15 gallon ones for $100.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by maineboiler View Post
    If you aged it another 2 months it would be even better.
    I was going to cut mine in half to make 2 planters, but then I saw an old barrel at a novelty/antique shop who sold a 5 gal barrel at $89.00. All they did was clean it up and stain it. Thus I decided I'll do that. I still have 4 of my empty barrels, soon to be 5, the other 2 sold for $75 each as is. I will just rinse mine with a little water/chlorine, dump it then double rinse to get rid of the chlorine, then pressure wash the outside, let fully dry and apply some finish. I'm thinking I'll try $89 for my 2- 5 gal ones, and $109 for the tens. They will then be sold for decoration in the same shop I saw the other one. It is also where I sell lots of syrup, in fact I need to restock weekly from Oct thru Dec, otherwise every 2 weeks does fine.
    I age mine until the bourbon taste and the maple taste are pretty much in balance.

Thanks Dave. I’ll hang on to the barrel. I’m looking forward to the next batch of barrel aged syrup. It takes some planning with getting the barrels and having enough syrup to age——

2020: 317 taps, 2021: 360, 2022: 350 2023: 300, 2024: 230 (getting smarter)
    Drop lines and hanging buckets, all hand lugged
    2 X 6 raised flue evaporator
    7in. Filter press
    17 HP Kubota tractor
    12 X 16' sugar shack
    Sugar and red maples

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123