+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice please

My son in law does the firing and uses a timer on his cell phone. He fires every five minutes. I watch the sap levels in the pans and the draw off thermometer. We both keep an eye on the RO and I break down and repaper the filter press.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

There are a few reasons to keep track of stack temps. one is for fuel savings and the other is for keeping the evap ripping. I would experiment and fire until the rig is ripping and then take note of the temp then I would figure out the max and minimums and take it from there.

I wanted a stack temp so when I got an autodraw I purchased the Great Lakes Guardian from Smokylake. What I noticed is that once you fire the temp will go down a little more and then rise. After it peaks for a while is will start to go down and that is when I fired. The max temp gradually increased through the boiling session until the evaporator was fully warmed up so you still had to watch. Firing temp was anywhere between 650 and 1000 depending on wood and how long I had been boiling.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Another thread going off topic because people aren’t answering the OP’s question but instead spending a lot of time telling him and others that they are doing it wrong. Read the OP’s question and provide answers that are what the questions ask. If you feel you are smarter than everyone else then start your own thread on the subject.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

the timer that BAP posted is the same that we switched to this year after using the kitchen egg timer. Best money one of the guys ever spent.
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

I use this one: https://www.thermoworks.com/Extra-Bi...EaApe3EALw_wcB
    Pricey but it works great. I used to use egg timers and other kitchen timers but they were never very good, if I stepped out to get more wood when the timer sounded I sometimes missed it. The one I link to has different volume settings, I keep it set to 1 under max, with that I can hear it from 50 +/- feet outside the sugarhouse, (over the sound of the high pressure blower). I have used this for about 5 seasons, love it. In use I set the time once and then start, when it sounds I push the stop button 2x and it starts again for the same length of time, then I add the wood and check the RO. This is also where I used to add defoamer, but that is now automatic as is the draw off.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I just received an email, the timer I suggested is now 15% off http://campaign.thermoworks.com/2018...tewide-Sale-cm
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12