Thread: Good pump to push or pull sap up hill

Nope vacuum will pull a max of 30’ if you had perfect vacuum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

The best any vacuum can pull at complete vacuum is what the air pressure at that time can push sap up, never more than 30' You can however run a series of lifts, maybe 15-20' at each lift, but a proper pump (or series of pumps if necessary) to push the sap will be far better.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

When I was planning the tubing and collection on a lease I no longer have, pumping was going to involve a lift of 80' and a distance of 2600'. I found a friendly neighbor between the tank and another road at 900' distance but with a total drop of 15'. I then collected the sap roadside on that other road, it cost me 2 qts of syrup each year. Is anything similar to that an option for your situation?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

USDA, NRCS offers what is called technical assistance. Nearly every county has a technician that would be able to size a pump for you and make a recommendation based on your situation that way you are sure that the pumps will be powerful enough to handle your sap without stressing the pump to the point that it "wears out" prematurely or that you are not spending more money than you need. This should not cost you anything other than the taxes that you already are paying.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I would also be more worried about the static head pressure at the pump. If pumping 250-300ft, at .433psi per foot you're looking at well over 100psi pump discharge. If using cheap black plastic (Oil Creek, Charter, etc) you might have fitting or tubing failures due to the pressure. How far are you pumping, using 1" pipe for transfer line? Like others said, you'll need a multi stage pump, and if pumping out a 2200gal tank, better plan to have some time to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S.S View Post
    Right now Iam using a 1/2hp 12gpm deep well pump in a MES releaser and pumping sap 2800' with a rise of 50'
    Do you have a tank or just a releaser? I'll need to do something similar soon with my next expansion. I like the idea of pumping it into my existing lines as it comes in, rather than having to pump out a whole tank at the end of the day.

I have to do something similar here to. I have to go 40 feet straight up and pitch it towards the shanty that is 700 feet away. I don’t have electricity to the shanty. so I’m going to buy a small generator and hook up the pump to a float switch. I believe doing it this way the head pressure will be less. Off the pump if it’s 1 inch I would go straight up with 1 inch. And for the line that is pitch towards the shanty I would jump up to 1 1/2 reducing restriction. For your situation you might need a few pump stations to get there. If that helps any.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

I pump 110' with a wb15 honda gas pump. Does an ok job but not overly fast. I have considered another pump midline to "boost" the flow. Not sure its practical or not. For your situation youll need really pricey pumps or a few to make that work. Hope you can figure this one out. Thats a lot of pumping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12