+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transferring from tank to tank using the siphon nmethod

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Default Transferring from tank to tank using the siphon nmethod

OK class lets put on our thinking caps

What I'm thinking................Im not asking how you would transfer sap from tank to tank or if a pump would be better. I want to know if this would work. I'm going with 3 cage tanks at my two collection points. I use a 2" flex pipe between the tanks connected by cam-loc's at the drain ports. They will freeze up st times and then my 3 tanks become only one when they freeze up. I have had the single tank over flow because of the loss of volume.

Now work with me here. I want to make a secondary siphon tube between the tanks that when the first tank get almost full it will spill into a siphon tube transferring sap from tank 1 into tank 2 then when tank 1 and 2 get almost full they will then transfer into tank 3. NOW follow me on this I can do it with simple bulk head fitting located about 4" from the top of the tanks and just have all the tanks connected fo once one is full then it fills #2 and then once 1 and 2 are full it will go to #3. OK easy.

Now what if I connected all the tanks that have the bulk head fittings with transfer pipes fitted with internal down tubes would they create a siphon effects pulling the sap from tank to tank??

I'm pretty sure that it would work. Can't say much more that. lol
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

yes they would providing there was no sap in the receiving tank above the delivering pipe outlet to start with. If the outlet was not open it would become air-locked. however once a siphon is established it will hold as long as you don't allow air entrainement. You would want the sap level for overflow stair-stepped to lower levels from tank to tank. A check valve on each suction end to prevent backflow also. we used to use a method like this to fill a 6 compartment hauling tank for fish by pumping into one compartment only. Just don't get your third tank too low or all your sap will end up there and running over. Or just install a float shutoff at the last tank. The transfer tubes need set so they stay full. I have moved millions of gallons of water by siphon. The secret is air tight lines and level control.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It might work, until liquid froze in the first tank blocking the drop tube. We connect the bottoms, but since things freeze up, we always just have simple overflows at the top. These are relatively simple and fool-proof.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I'm going for the top transfer tube idea because of the reliability of them. I agree with keeping it simple. I have had my bottom line connecting all the bottoms freeze and overflow with a second tank next to it empty. I always say that every time you add a system to help it moves the problem down stream. I was watching my tank level sensor show that my tank was almost full and then went to collect and it was overflowing because of clogged line.

Haynes, why not just use a tee and a float valve (cattle water trough style) into the first two. When each one fills, your sap will go to the next. No need to worry about your syphon hose getting a chunk of ice in it and not working.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Haynes, google uniseal. Cheaper than bulkheads. They work well if you drill a clean hole.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Why bother siphoning? A simple overflow from tank to tank will be as simple as you can get and work without having to perform any "tricks".

I’m with Wim on this. I do exactly this at one area I buy sap from
    No plumbing to freeze. Only bummer is have to pump 4 tanks versus a single suction point if it had a drain manifold. We use 1-1/2” overflows

I think what Haynes is after with a siphon is the ability to empty all the tanks from the last one......is that what your after Haynes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast