+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hot syrup bursting jug

Default hot syrup bursting jug

Have some one who had full gallon jug on hot porch, plastic jug expanded and cracked. They were decanting to new container and noticed it was foaming. Will this be safe to eat. Has this happen to anyone else?

Sounds like the syrup was fermented. Usually caused by it not being dense enough. Was the jug still sealed from the initial fill or had it been opened previously?

Haynes Forest Products Guest

You can take a jug of TO DENSITY syrup and it will mold but not ferment. now under density and its toast. No its not safe to eat but then again if it fermented and you still feel the urge to eat it your a good man.

I remember seeing about 5 drums of syrup that wer at the supplier that were under density and the drums looked like frozen pop cans all bulged out. That was a call the guy that made it didn't want to get................Hello yes you need to bring the money back plus the cost of the drums. I have a 1/2 gallon jug of syrup I keep in the pantry and I don't refrigerate it and just top off the table jar. No it doesn't mold.

Now that I saw the title of the thread I think someone would think that because it got hot and the expansion caused it to expand and break. The question is was it HOT PACKED. If it was and it cooled then it can't expand anymore that it was when it was filled. Did you ask how it smelled?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Undoubtedly it fermented. Syrup coming off a canner or evaporator would be hotter than being on the porch would get. You could boil it again and bringing it to the proper density, but it will have an off-flavor (fruity).

We had a barrel ferment several years ago. Barrel was all bulged out. Sumner Williams (former Asst. Director of PMRC and now deceased) took off the bung and syrup shot out like a volcano. He was totally covered with syrup from head to toe.

Ask Bruce Bascom about fermented syrup and bulging barrels. He has some interesting tales.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

especially when there stacked 3 high.

+ Reply to Thread