+ Reply to Thread

Thread: who's walked their lines in the off season/storm damage

Default who's walked their lines in the off season/storm damage

Holy cow, I haven't been in my woods for about 6 weeks. About 3 weeks ago we had a bad storm that took some trees down along our road. So today I decided to take a walk and see what might have happened in my woods. I was not in a good mood when I came out. I have 7 trees down, three of them big sugar maples I have tapped. Then there are many limbs and parts of tops down. I have two of my 3/16 sap lines pretty much destroyed. Of course they were my best producers. It will take me weeks to clear my woods roads and cut tops off lines. I actually gave firewood away last year because it was 2 years old, then wondered if I made a mistake. Well I'll have plenty of new wood now. when I'm done with this I'll probably have wood for three years. I always try to stay about 1.5 to 2 years ahead. So if you've had some of the storms we've had in southern Ohio and haven't walked your woods you might want to.

I've walked one of my woods, very little damage. Have not been in the other woods yet, will try to by Aug 1.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I had a mainline come down at the end of sugaring season. Early last month I went out and got it rerouted and back up again. It took 2 days and there is still some work to do but after removing 25 ticks from my body and cloths I decided that the rest of the work will be done after the leaves are off of the trees. The winds haven't been that bad around here this year and my woods usually don't get that much damage when it does get bad.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Russ, I walked part of my lines yesterday. Got out at sunrise it was 43 degrees it felt great, the temp and raspberry chased me in about 8am, only 1 tick. No major issues That I could see. Next time the temp goes that low I will hit it again. Finished up my wood supply this morning, but I still have storm trees to bring in.

Jay
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

+ Reply to Thread