+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Big Filter Press

Default How Big Filter Press

Hi,
    I'm looking to invest in our first filter press. Wondering what size I should be looking at... We have lots of untapped bush, and I plan to slowly expand our operation. I'm looking for something that could handle a 4000 tap operation... Anything that I should be aware of if I buy used? Aluminum vs steel?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks!

You'll want a standard 10" press for that amount of taps and filtering. Diaphragm style pumps are preferred due to lead concerns with the brass gear pumps but many of us still use the brass gear pumps. I'm not sure if there any regulations on this in Ontario but you may want to double check. Diaphragm setup is also much better in my opinion as long as you have the air supply to run it.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Buying used has some risks but most people don't sell a filter press because its has problems. Gear pump presses have a motor and a pump and yes they can be faulty but easy to replace. I have a 16 year old Westfab 7" short bank that I have never replaced the pump or motor and it has been abused beyond what a filter press should put up with. Now it could fail at any time but that is part of any production equipment.

I wouldn't skimp when it comes to this part of your operation. We always say I can just filter when I have spare time or at the end of the day when nit calms down in the shack. BS when the sap is hitting the fan and its closing in on 10:00 pm and your exhausted and you have 50 gallons of hot finished syrup sitting in your reheater/finisher and you are teetering on do I filter and hot pack tonight or let it cool and start over in the morning with cold syrup you will want the big press.

If time is money then 4000 taps will put a strain on anything that can't keep up.

Go 10" you wont regret it. When fellow producers are struggling to push 10 gallons through their 5 or 7" presss because of niter you'll still get 40 gal pushed through a 10" no problem.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

Yes get a 10 inch. If we don't have that much sap for the day we just use 1/2 or 1/3 of the plates. On big days we use them all. This way as you expand the capacity is there. Best. Jim
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

What make did you get??

10" or the 7.5" full bank from leader you will have a bunch of syrup and you don't want filtering be your back up. Spend the money now to go to an air pump dont wast your time with a gear pump if your buying new.
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

+ Reply to Thread