+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Unfiltered Syrup for Confections

If you are talking about just 2-3 cups of syrup that are cloudy after filtering, I think that should be OK to use, but that's just my opinion.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I use the rinse-off from my pans and equipment, filtered while thin, re-boil it, and make good maple coated nuts. Last batch, I needed more, so I cooked up syrup from two bottles that had been filter pressed. I noticed that the cook time was much less, since the frothing at temperature was less. I am thinking it is similar to the foam in the evaporator- worse if you have more niter, good to skim it off. Any way, the nuts are good regardless. For candy, it may affect color if there is a lot.

I normally refuse to use defoamer- but next batch of nuts, I may add a few drops of good oil.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Maple sugar sand/niter/scale is primarily malic acid (same compound that produces the "tartness" in apples), other organic acids, and mineral/metal salts. For the most part it isn't a problem, but there are three factors to consider.

1. If you have any lead soldered/older (pre-1997) galvanized equipment, lead is concentrated in sugar sand.
    2. Sugar sand is largely indigestible, so it doesn't take much to cause stomach upset and diarrhea.
    3. It often doesn't taste particularly good, and can impart syrup (or other products) with an off-flavor.

If you want more info on the chemical make-up, see http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/scale.pdf
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12