+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Burner for 3 X 10

Default Oil Burner for 3 X 10

I have a wayne combustion systems Model FH Oil burner. I got it free from work and I replaced the pump. I now need to get the correct nozzle sizes so that I get the right amount of heat.
    How many GPH of oil do I need for my 3 X 10 to boil around 90 GPH. I have a 7 foot raised flue rig that is 4 years old.
    Thanks Guys
    3X10 Lappiere Cross Flow Raised Flue
    Lappiere 250 Turbo RO
    800 ish taps??? for 2015
    rossellsmaple.com

MAY THE SAP BE WITH YOU

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have a 3 x 10 and I decided to go for as much heat as possible to cook as much as possible. Now I don't know if there is a calculation on what burner along with this nozzle will produce 90 GPH under a 3x10 Lapierre. Now I would get the rig put together and then have someone that knows how to tune a oil burner bring out a selection of nozzles and see what he can do.

I think combustion chamber and style of arch has a lot to do with it.

While I don't burn oil yet, I have heard many say that you are best off getting an oil burner technician, and one who is familiar with evaporators, not just oil burners. They will have the knowledge to get the best boil rate/efficiency combination. A regular oil burner tech can get a good flame but they are not normally trained to get the best boil rate. It is not always just a matter of larger nozzle for more gal/hr evaporation. When the tech comes you will want a good amount of water for the test.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

https://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf...d-oil-arch.pdf This should get you in the ball field.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

A few things I learned when setting up my 3x12.
    Oil nozzles are rated at 150 psi for the gph.
    You may not want the pressure at 150. With mine at 150 the flame was too far out and the front of the front pan did not boil good. I backed the pressure off and went down in nozzle size. ( 2- 5.5 gph hollow pressure about 125) Then the front pan boiled better. I also tilted the burner slightly so the flame goes up toward the pan. This also helped the front of the front pan boil better.

If I was to build again I would reverse fire. (Burner under flue pan)
    Last edited by wiam; 07-02-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

The gallon rating on a nozzle is based on 100 psi. pump pressure, not 150 psi.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The gallon rating on a nozzle is based on 100 psi. pump pressure, not 150 psi.
    Whoops. I knew that.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread