+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New FDA regulation on nutrition labeling

Default New FDA regulation on nutrition labeling

Has anyone seen or heard about the new regulation that will require pure maple syrup and honey to include the line "added sugars" to nutrition labels?

Dr Tim started a thread about it yesterday.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    Dr Tim started a thread about it yesterday.
    I can't seem to find it...?
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

Vermonts congressional delegation is on this in DC but perhaps your delegation in your state is not. Contact your senators and congresspeople and let them know how ill informed is this new regulation is.

Since syrup isn't 100% sugar, why is it to be labeled as 100% sugar?.. Sugar Added??? How about water subtracted?
    A family of maple heads
    Father has over 15,000 taps
    Brother has 2,000 taps
    I'm just the help!!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I believe 100% sugar would have to be granulated. How about they leave it alone because I cant believe anyone has called up thew consumer protection agency to complain that they purchased Pure Maple Syrup and didn't realize how much sugar was in it. Now I did have a guy answer another visitors question at a dairy breakfast and I was manning the sugar house. She asked why Vermont's syrup tasted so mush sweeter and he chimed in with "because they put more sugar in it" We will always have a certain segment of the population that just don't have a clue and no labeling will fix stupid.

I think this legislation is a cure looking for a problem. Its just stupid and was probably brought about because some low level clown in some government department has a young family member that is Diabetic and he squirted an entire pint of Vermont's finest down his throat and missed his Soccer game. Little Billiy cried all day because that's the day they gave out participation ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    I can't seem to find it...?
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ded-sugar-quot
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjake View Post
    Since syrup isn't 100% sugar, why is it to be labeled as 100% sugar?.. Sugar Added??? How about water subtracted?
    The thread I just linked to from Dr. Tim explains the figuring behind the percentages.
    -Ryan

Before we get too far down the road on this one, the "sugar added" is referencing sugar added to your diet or total food intake. While this relates to sugars added to a given food product, my understanding is this proposed updating of nutritional labeling standards is related to changing federal laws adopted in 2016.

This document describes the background on the proposed changes and some example labels showing how the "added sugars" in natural sweeteners could be clarified on packaging.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/G.../UCM596469.pdf

The big issue here is that the language the FDA has chosen could be very confusing to consumers and hence this is why the VT delegates have been fighting this.

Basically instead of the label just reading "sugars" under total carbs, it will read "total sugars" and "added sugars". This seems pertinent to a product like cranberries where sugar is "added" to make them more sweet, but it does not pertain at all to natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    The thread I just linked to from Dr. Tim explains the figuring behind the percentages.
    It doesn't appear as though Dr. Tim's thread can be replied to, so this is the text:

"Not sure how many are aware of this, but there is a pending rule by the FDA to require foods to have an "Added Sugar" category on their label. What they mean by this is how much is "added" to your diet, not how much sugar is "added" to the food as an ingredient. For maple syrup it would mean putting 100% "Added" sugar on the nutrition label. This is potentially confusing to consumers.

In any case, a newspaper has an ongoing poll on the subject. Vote here: http://www.caledonianrecord.com/news...be2551a03.html"
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast