+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New York State 2018 maple tour

Default New York State 2018 maple tour

I've registered to attend the maple tour, but will not be there until Monday morning. I made reservations at the Holiday Inn for Monday nite, 7/16/2018 only. Looking for another member interested in sharing the room, again, Monday nite only, we split the cost. Send me a PM if interested.
    I am going with a friend, but he decided to take his wife, son and maybe his brother, I thought it better to get my own room.
    Let me know if interested, first to commit gets it.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Heading out for the Maple Tour shortly. I hope to see many of you there. I expect to be at the venue about 7:00 or so. Going to be 90+ this afternoon, stay hydrated everyone.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Had a great time on the NYS Upper Hudson Maple Association Maple Tour. We saw some great sugar houses. The most impressive for size and beauty of design was Toad Hill Maple, Real impressive and I'm sure very expensive for sure. We saw others that were impressive all, but none as fancy as Toad Hill. The Maple News sugarhouse was also very impressive in how many taps could be handles in such a small space, and while tight, it was well organized and neat. He is supposed to be getting power real soon, like this week to the corner of the property, then the time and expense to bring it to the sugarhouse. It will be a huge step forward when that is all finished. On some of the other stops I was also impressed by how much sap and how big of an evaporator could fit in and be processed by a rather small sugarhouse.
    Congratulations to the Upper Hudson Maple association and all of those who opened up their sugarhouses for us to see, well done to all. I had a great time , renewed old friends and made new.
    I will be ordering some glass from a new to me supplier and based on a couple of reports on refrigerating concentrate, both on the tour and from Proctor (as well as the producer I had to sell my excess sap to back in 2011) I will be trying to get one of 3 tanks operational to hold concentrate for a few days. This will give me the chance to have longer boils and fewer boils for more time in the woods, keeping vacuum up.

Flats, Thanks for the compliments on our sugarhouse. I can’t say that building our sugarhouse was cheap, but we did a lot to defray the costs. For example, we did all of the site work/excavation and utility installation ourselves, we traded a piece of property for the foundation and concrete work, we cut logs on our property for almost all of the wood in the building, we traded logs for all of the milling, we did all of the staining and finish work ourselves and we installed all of the equipment. We also received a REAP grant that paid for 25% of the new evaporator, RO, tanks and some other stuff. So, we didn’t just write a check for it, but rather did what we had to to get it done. We were fortunate to have resources at our disposal and I’m thankful that I’ve been able to realize my dream and to be supported by my family while doing it. Thx

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

That sugar house will be a real joy when you add the planned taps you mentioned to get up to full utilization of your equipment and tree resource.

Yes, but everything always takes way longer than I think it should. Trying to do to much on my own. I need to complete my thinning before I run the tubing and I just can't find anyone that I trust to do it so I'm doing it myself. I like doing it, but it just takes a long time. Thx

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

+ Reply to Thread