+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you a cook or a Chef

Interesting question Chuck! Ironically, and years ago, my sister had my father and I put on aprons and chef hats and took a picture of us boiling. When showing the picture we always said, "Please do not disturb the chef's". I'll have to try and locate that picture.

Going back to the question, we do make a gourmet product like Minehart Gap said. And chef's do use specific knowledge and specific equipment to make something unique. So, technically, we could call ourselves chef's if we wanted to.

You know what, I think I'm going to locate those hats too!

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Buckeye the more posts I read I'm starting to realize that there are a certain sugar makers that do more than just "cook". Having the ability to manipulate your equipment and change the outcome for the BETTER is what make you a Chef in my opinion. Now I do realize that we all walk the room tweaking this or that to keep things going in the right direction. I just don't know what ones will change good syrup to award winning syrup.

Now to my favorite word brought to you by the good Dr. REPLICATION I know producers that are like clock work when running their rigs that if you distract them they get all out of whack. Because things change as far as sugar content, foaming and how the rig runs we constantly have to be manipulating it to meet its needs. Dr. Perking in the thread about RO's mentioned that once the equipment had stabilized then they could get into the woods. That is so true with all my systems from the vacuum in the woods to the RO and especially the evaporator. I could shut it down at 10:00 at night and shut the head tank off and wake up at 6:00 in the AM and have the rig go crazy for the next 1/2 until i bring it under control.

Seems like 3/4 of my efforts in the sap shack are spent diverting disasters and the other 1/4 is spent cleaning up the ones I didn't divert/avoid and that leaves very little time to wipe away the tears. At the end of the evening when I take a nice clean spoon full of hot syrup along with the sand, spider legs and flotsam and suck it into my mouth and know its the best I could have done I'm one happy cook.
    3X10 Lapiere Waterloo small/CDL raised flue with oil fired homemade steam hood
    1700 taps all on vacuum thru sap ladders
    Smoky Lake auto draw off
    Custom 2X4 finish pan by 3rdgen
    Kubota BX 2370 tractor and Polaris ATV
    CDL Airtech L63
    CDL remote vacuum system sensing.
    2 double Bernard releasers
    Westfab 7" short bank
    More dang tanks and pumps than I can remember
    Yellow dog made from parts named Roxy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12