+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: A trade war a come-in

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Just read that many Canadians were shocked when they found out that US syrup is sold in their country.

Sounds like a pi$@-/:ng war from school days. The U.S imposed tariffs against aluminum and steel,now our government is threatening to retaliate. We'll see how it plays out,President Trump is a bigger stronger player,better business man than the limp noodle that we are stuck with for another year
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

If Trump mirrors the tariff on Canadian maple syrup...that would suck for Canadian producers... he's non-political enough to do it. US maple syrup would jump to $3.50/lb and Canadian syrup would drop in value. It would destroy the Federation. Check and mate in one move. NY State has more maple trees than Quebec. I'm pretty sure Michigan and Wisconsin aren't far behind. It would be a good time to buy into maple equipment in the USA

I doubt it happens. Hard to predict geo-political moves. I'm pretty sure the move was to prevent Chinese steel being shipped to Canada and Mexico to avoid tariffs in the USA. Very similar to what happened in the honey market.
    Make sure you check out our YouTube Channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/bissellmaplefarm

www.bissellmaplefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moser's Maple View Post
    Really galena?? You’re participating on a US based web forum, but now your going to bad mouth the US president??? What happened to keeping politics out of the discussions. Yeah yeah it’s a free country, but you don’t live in the country that phrase came from.
    I have no ill will to our Canadian neighbors, just ill will to those that think they have a say in the US.
    Phew....... rant over.
    Well said Jake!
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    ill do it again in 2020
    Me too!!!!!!!!!
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal

Quote Originally Posted by OneLegJohn View Post
    If Trump mirrors the tariff on Canadian maple syrup...that would suck for Canadian producers... he's non-political enough to do it. US maple syrup would jump to $3.50/lb and Canadian syrup would drop in value. It would destroy the Federation. Check and mate in one move. NY State has more maple trees than Quebec. I'm pretty sure Michigan and Wisconsin aren't far behind. It would be a good time to buy into maple equipment in the USA

I doubt it happens. Hard to predict geo-political moves. I'm pretty sure the move was to prevent Chinese steel being shipped to Canada and Mexico to avoid tariffs in the USA. Very similar to what happened in the honey market.
    Right on Nate!!
    Constantly changing

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I'm just to dang ignorant to understand the why we need so much over seas aluminum and steel. Yea it takes time to gear up and we have more regulation here in the states..............and I believe in GOOD regulation just not some of the crazy things I hear about.

I go to the land fill about once a week and its a great source of entertainment watching people try and back up 50 ft between other trucks. Right up there with the boat launch on a Sunday afternoon when everyone is tired now to the point. All the recyclable that we pay to have collected to save the environment get mixed together and fed into a grinder that leaves you with a mountain of threaded glass, steel, plastic and aluminum. Its all bits and chunks all mixed together and they spread it out over the layer of clay they flood the area and a small barge is brought in to level it. So wonder why we don't just keep it here and use it. I understand that we take oil and make plastic and sell it to Israel and they make sprinkler parts and sell it back to us as a finished products and thats' fine I'm all for world economics but the under cutting needs to be challenged.

I like the phrase "What you tax you get less of What you subsidize you get more of"

The mess with the recyclables gets even crazier that that! The big wast-handling companies in the US put all that mixed material onto ships and send it to China to be sorted and processed, and they sell it back to us. Lately there has been a news story about our zero-sort materials being too dirty with other trash, and the Chinese companies are turning it down and shipping it back, or shipping it some place like Bangladesh where it gets picked by hand by really unfortunate people. It was only a few years ago that folks sorted their own recyclables...

In our county your trash gets refused if not sorted, and the bottles & can must be rinsed too. I just thought everywhere that was the norm. Must be I was wrong again.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLegJohn View Post

I always thought Canada blew us away in the amount of maple trees. Do they just have more taps but less trees?

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast