+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: A trade war a come-in

From what I've read Canada isn't the only country imposing tariffs on US goods in response to the aluminum and steel tariffs imposed on our goods. My understanding is the tariffs will in fact hurt US manufacturers as the states don't have enough domestic supply of aluminum and steel. Why maple syrup? No idea other than it's probably one of the line items that add up to the same total value as the US tariffs.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Actually, as strange as it may seem, there has been some, and an increasing amount of maple syrup headed north. In Quebec, the rates are set (for syrup made in Quebec). In the U.S., the price is set by three factors: 1) Quebec price, 2) Currency Exchange Rate, and 3) Supply. #1 hasn't changed, #2 has a huge depressing effect on price, and #3, packers have been using the oversupply to keep U.S. prices even lower than what #1 and #2 would indicate. Currently about 80% of the U.S. price of syrup is dictated by #1 and #2 acting together, and is affected about 20% by #3. Until the recent price bump (due to a poor 2018 crop in Quebec), it was closer to 60:40. What this meant is that Quebec packers could actually buy maple syrup CHEAPER from the U.S. than from Quebec....and some did, particularly organic syrup. Obviously this did not please many folks in Quebec very much, and I suspect they lobbied hard for a tariff on U.S. maple syrup (as odd as that may seem). Given the fact that FAR more syrup comes south than goes north, they better hope that the U.S. doesn't decide to reciprocate with a tariff on Canadian syrup. That would sure upset things quite a bit.
    Thanks for the explanation, Tim. I have been researching about tarriffs lately and have learned alot of good and bad things. From what I have been understanding is that building supplies have gone up considerbaly (30-40%) in this country since the tarriffs on Canadian softwood lumber have been imposed. I have not bought any building supplies lately, but is what I have been hearing from others. Good or bad for whomever, price hikes like that will ultimately stifle any growth of the ecomony IMO.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Mark I do agree that building materials have gone up in the Western red Cedar supply it sky rocketed up. I do fence repair and put up signs on Cedar posts and a 12 ft 6X6 post is over $100.00 for one post.

Anybody have any data yet on just how poor the 2018 crop was up there?
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    *Ahem* The US is imposing tariffs on Canada and Mexico first, and now you're whingeing cause Canada dares to retaliate by imposing tariffs on the US in turn? Yes, I also agree that it seems ridiculous that we're apparently imposing tariffs on maple syrup, but hey, whatever. You guys voted President Babyhands in.
    Really galena?? You’re participating on a US based web forum, but now your going to bad mouth the US president??? What happened to keeping politics out of the discussions. Yeah yeah it’s a free country, but you don’t live in the country that phrase came from.
    I have no ill will to our Canadian neighbors, just ill will to those that think they have a say in the US.
    Phew....... rant over.
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Good or bad for whomever, price hikes like that will ultimately stifle any growth of the ecomony IMO.
    Most likely you are correct.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rock Maple View Post
    Anybody have any data yet on just how poor the 2018 crop was up there?
    Official numbers have not yet been published, but it is in the range of a 20-25% reduction, although the losses were very unevenly distributed.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    *Ahem* The US is imposing tariffs on Canada and Mexico first, and now you're whingeing cause Canada dares to retaliate by imposing tariffs on the US in turn? Yes, I also agree that it seems ridiculous that we're apparently imposing tariffs on maple syrup, but hey, whatever. You guys voted President Babyhands in.
    ill do it again in 2020
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    ill do it again in 2020

No reason not to do it again!!!

Quebec’s 2018 crop number circulating is 118 M lbs, down from 152 M last year.
    My sources told me that no one in the Canadian maple industry was aware of those tariffs before they were made public by Trudeau yesterday. Never heard people asking for those tariffs either.

Tariffs are rarely a good thing for an industry... short term gain,long term pain...IMO
    Last edited by AirDave; 06-01-2018 at 10:24 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast