+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A trade war a come-in

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Default A trade war a come-in

So Canada is threatening to put tariffs on items leaving the US into Canada. One of the items is Maple syrup. How can that be if Canada makes the most and has such large reserves why do we sell them any??? Let the discussion begin.

Valid point Haynes, in my mind if Canada puts a tariff on imported syrup that should strengthen the value of our syrup, why would we as producers want to deal with that... I feel like Canada would be shooting themselves in the foot here... The only thing stopping us here in the states is complacency so sell more retail, create new markets and tap more trees! We have the resources we just have to get off our a!# and do it.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    So Canada is threatening to put tariffs on items leaving the US into Canada. One of the items is Maple syrup. How can that be if Canada makes the most and has such large reserves why do we sell them any??? Let the discussion begin.
    Fake News! I thought avoiding politics was one of the rules here?

Quote Originally Posted by FDA View Post
    Fake News! I thought avoiding politics was one of the rules here?
    List of items Canada will tax and maple syrup and sugar is on the list.
    https://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consul...cmpcaa-eng.asp

Listed in table 2 and that means a 10% tax.
    Last edited by Louie; 05-31-2018 at 09:31 PM.

FDA I'm not talking politics I'm talking about current events and that would be the talk about Canada retaliating with what they called unfair tariffs buy putting them on Maple syrup. This is a maple forum and its relevant.

Why do you call it fake news? Did I miss read something?

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    FDA I'm not talking politics I'm talking about current events and that would be the talk about Canada retaliating with what they called unfair tariffs buy putting them on Maple syrup. This is a maple forum and its relevant.

Why do you call it fake news? Did I miss read something?
    I don't think its fake news and this would be much more than "politics", someone is just trying to blow smoke again! With 50% of the Canadian syrup getting exported to the US, (feel free to correct me if I am wrong.) Either way, I believe I have read that we are the #1 importer of CAN. syrup. Not really sure there is a whole lot of US packed syrup going back into Canada? I think what another poster commented, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. It would only help our prices, unless a tariff (tax) were to be imposed on CAN. bulk syrup coming in. In addition, many of the raw materials for evaporators and equipment come from the US. If there is a tax on these items, the price of finished Canadian equipment (which is the majority nowadays) will only go that much higher when it is returned to the States, so not a very enlightening situation here.
    Last edited by markcasper; 06-01-2018 at 12:23 AM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Reading all of the info I have seen thus far it does indeed look like a 10% tariff in both directions over the US/Can border and a 25% tariff both ways on many raw materials, including SS an most other metals and finished equipment.
    I think that will raise the bulk price here in the US by at least 10%.
    Also think about cars and trucks, many of those are assembled in Canada with most parts made in the US, thus a truck or car assembled in Canada could have the cost to the consumer compounded. This might however be short lived until the US expands assembly capabilities here in the US. Any one looking at lets say an F350 4x4 might well see it's cost jump 35-50%. A $50,000 truck last week could jump to $75,000.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

*Ahem* The US is imposing tariffs on Canada and Mexico first, and now you're whingeing cause Canada dares to retaliate by imposing tariffs on the US in turn? Yes, I also agree that it seems ridiculous that we're apparently imposing tariffs on maple syrup, but hey, whatever. You guys voted President Babyhands in.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Not really sure there is a whole lot of US packed syrup going back into Canada?
    Actually, as strange as it may seem, there has been some, and an increasing amount of maple syrup headed north. In Quebec, the rates are set (for syrup made in Quebec). In the U.S., the price is set by three factors: 1) Quebec price, 2) Currency Exchange Rate, and 3) Supply. #1 hasn't changed, #2 has a huge depressing effect on price, and #3, packers have been using the oversupply to keep U.S. prices even lower than what #1 and #2 would indicate. Currently about 80% of the U.S. price of syrup is dictated by #1 and #2 acting together, and is affected about 20% by #3. Until the recent price bump (due to a poor 2018 crop in Quebec), it was closer to 60:40. What this meant is that Quebec packers could actually buy maple syrup CHEAPER from the U.S. than from Quebec....and some did, particularly organic syrup. Obviously this did not please many folks in Quebec very much, and I suspect they lobbied hard for a tariff on U.S. maple syrup (as odd as that may seem). Given the fact that FAR more syrup comes south than goes north, they better hope that the U.S. doesn't decide to reciprocate with a tariff on Canadian syrup. That would sure upset things quite a bit.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

First no one is whining we are only discussing current events. Second keep the name calling trolling out of this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast