+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bricking my Evaporator Where do I start??

Default Bricking my Evaporator Where do I start??

OK, so I bought a used 30"x10' evaporator and the guy took the brick out so we could move it. Now I'm ready to re-brick it but I don't know where to start. It seems like I should do the bottom first and then the sides but I don't want to mess it up. I'd appreciate your experience on this.
    Thanks,
    Ray

If you're reusing the old bricks make sure you clean any loose old refractory cement off before reassembling (we took a wire wheel attachment on a cordless drill). Also if it's a Leader rig they have the bricking patterns available on their site. Start with bottom and work your way up the sides make sure to wet the bricks or the refractory cement don't stick (we used a paint brush). Also spend the extra money and get the refractory cement rated for 3000 degrees (you don't want to clean and re-cement every year).IMG_1875.jpg
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

If it needs bricking in the bottom start there and work up. When doing the sides start at the door and work to the back. Stagger the bricks so that the joints don't make one long seam from top to bottom. Use arch board or ceramic blanket behind the bricks. Most importantly if this is a forced draft arch, seal all of the seams to keep the smoke and heat inside.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread