+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinning Sugarbush with Beech blight and Beech bark disease?

L&M I have a 105 acre bush lot in Ontario Canada that is comprised of 15 acres of fields, 65 acres of mixed vegetation, 1/3 of which was beech, and 25 acres of maples that is a natural mono culture with little else growing in the maple stand. 5 years ago we noticed the beach bark disease on a few trees. Within 2 years it had moved into roughly 35-40 trees. We had the bush professionally marked then cut 2 years ago while the trees were still merchantable for firewood, leaving smaller beach in the stand to see what would happen. As beech blight rots from the middle out, 90% harvested beach showed serious rot in the center core. As of a month ago, the smaller beech show no signs of the disease. As mentioned above this is after 2 years. As a side note, we are planting maple and pine in different groves where the beech stands were because of how quickly the poplar or popple as the old timer's refer to them here, are already taking over. As this was our experience to date, I would consider removing them. Also be aware of the amount of clean up required with all the tops. On the bright side I now have firewood for the next 10 years for the evaporator lol
    Rob

2017- 75 taps 21 liters of syrup, 20x48 sugar shack
    2018- 150 taps 35 litres syrup 2x6 Lappiere evap, Auf, steamhood
    2019- 200 taps?- 150 on buckets- 50 on 3/16- the 3/16 still in the box due to time and weather this year- 43 liters syrup- tapped for week and a half
    2020- 204 taps- 170 buckets- 34 3/16 gravity tapped March 19th
    Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT SXS on Tracks- sap hauler
    Wife and kids who like sugar’n almost as much as me.

Sorry meant to say remove the large diseased and keep the smaller. Seems to be working out so far
    Rob

2017- 75 taps 21 liters of syrup, 20x48 sugar shack
    2018- 150 taps 35 litres syrup 2x6 Lappiere evap, Auf, steamhood
    2019- 200 taps?- 150 on buckets- 50 on 3/16- the 3/16 still in the box due to time and weather this year- 43 liters syrup- tapped for week and a half
    2020- 204 taps- 170 buckets- 34 3/16 gravity tapped March 19th
    Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT SXS on Tracks- sap hauler
    Wife and kids who like sugar’n almost as much as me.

Northern Michigan, about 7 minutes away from Mackinaw

Didn't no that!Thanks for the tip Ed

My logger may be sending the hardwood pulp from my property to the new plant in Grayling instead of to Escanaba, He has to work out the trucking logistics. I am one hour west of the bridge in Eastern Schoolcraft Co. Even if the pulp doesn't go there it should help the overall pulp market in Northern Michigan, the place is supposed to be one of the biggest in the world.

I would echo WestfordSugarworks with his post. I am not as educated in the forestry management but have done research and talked with the forester who over sees our property for land use in VT.

We have a stand of about 30 Beech trees which have had the Beach Bark Disease start small and grow through. I am letting it progress naturally right now. I will be cutting them next winter for firewood. We are seeing a lot of Beech saplings in our woods. I will let a few grow in the sugar bush for diversity of the woods. We have a moderately large Beech tree not far (150 yards) from the stand with the disease and the cutting will begin early if the saplings are showing signs of the disease.

Also we have not had many squirrels until this year and they are everywhere, including other properties. I don't attribute it to the Beech trees, but maybe the cycle of food and predators in the area.

I'd keep the healthy ones and eliminate the sick or very sick ones. Check with a local forester too as there may be a management plan covering nearby properties.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by VT_K9 View Post
    Also we have not had many squirrels until this year and they are everywhere, including other properties.
    2017 was a mast year (heavy seed crop) for maples and many other tree species. That results in a boom in the squirrel population. Fortunately it is typically followed by precipitous drop in squirrel numbers when they run out of food.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12