+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning 275 gal totes

Default Cleaning 275 gal totes

Does anybody know a way that makes cleaning out 275 gal totes easy? We buy food grade totes that might have had cooking oil or something of that nature in them and it can be hard to just clean them out with a high pressure washer. Any suggestions?

I bought and installed these manhole covers that I got on Amazon. I lay the tote on it's side and reach in and scrub all of the surfaces with a Scotchbrite pad. I then rinse it out with a pressure washer.

IMG_20170429_161004390[1].jpg

IMG_20170429_160937994[1].jpg
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Russ, those are nice. Any idea what brand or more details on them? Not to get off track but Russ's idea is the best way to go. A bigger hole is needed to scrub them and clean them good.

Thanks! I hope this works well for me .

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Russ, those are nice. Any idea what brand or more details on them? Not to get off track but Russ's idea is the best way to go. A bigger hole is needed to scrub them and clean them good.
    Maple dealers or tank suppliers have these covers. I use the same ones. I climb right inside and scrub them.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I cut a hole in the top the size of a 4 or 5-gallon bucket. Then the bucket jammed in makes a tight seal. I lightly hand sanded the opening because the burs are sharp enough to cut skin. I can reach in and get every spot with a long-handled nylon brush. It's about 18". Later, I happened across a brush that is the length of a broom and that makes it way easier to scrub the bottom and sides inside.

Eventually, I moved away from the buckets for lids and made my own washable covers out of corrugated, plastic sheets. They cut in half easily with durable scissors and I glued the sides together with liquid nails. The result is a durable, washable cover that hangs off the sides just enough to cover the whole top.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tuftex-SeaC...-Panel/3010589
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have 12 totes and over the years I would go threw all sorts of contortions to try and keep them clean or clean them. I now don't get all riled up over trying to keep them clean but to clean them every spring easily. Yup they will get mold and algae but that's easy. Because I live far away from them and when I get to town its balls to the walls. I fill all the tanks with well water with about a cup of bleach and let sit for a few days. Time is your friend so get them soaking early and get to tapping. I then drain and power wash. I get a $200.00 Ryobi power washer 2000 PSI and I took the metal wand without the plastic handle on it and bent it over a round tank. Its real simple bend the wand so you can get the top and corners and with iot bent you can do the sides and bottom without having to hump the tank for 10 min.

If you can clean your plastic Tupper Ware plastic containers with dawn soap and put spaghetti sauce in it you can use it to clean olive oil out of your tank. I hate cutting the top off a tank that is so well made the way they are. The power washer will get anything out of the tank.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 05-14-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Do a google search for "Norwesco tank lid" and it will bring up pictures and places to buy them. Make sure that you get the complete set up with the threaded ring that goes onto the tank. Some of them are only replacement covers. Mine are the 16" covers with vent.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Awesome, thank Russ. I didn't realize maple suppliers had them either but i will look online. 3 of these will make life a lot easier.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

When you scrub and scrape on the interior of the tank you will cause areas that will be harder to clean and will allow bacteria to hide.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast