+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finishing evaporator

Default Finishing evaporator

I have a 2x6 max flu pan evaporator and i was talking to a sales rep from D&G to purchase an ro. He said my evaporator is not a “finishing evaporator” but I had been finishing syrup on a draw off all season sometimes a little heavy at times but not bad. Just wondering what size or setup is a finishing evaporator.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

No idea what he meant. I finished a lot of syrup on a 2x6.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    No idea what he meant. I finished a lot of syrup on a 2x6.
    Same here.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I'm not sure what he means by finishing evaporator either. With my 2x6 evaporator and RO I'm finishing 8 gallons of syrup an hour. It likes to come in batches rather than one continuous draw so maybe that's what he's referring to.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I know some producers use finishing rigs. A 2x6 is a common size for those. It's a 2x6' flat pan over a propane burner. Syrup is taken off the evaporator a little light then finished on the other rig where you have better control of the temp. Maybe you could call that a finishing evaporator.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Haynes Forest Products Guest

If there is one thing I have learned about the sport of making maple syrup is.......... People misunderstand what youre saying and what their hearing. Could he have meant its not for finishing syrup before filtering? How about its not meant to finish syrup in if your planning on accumulating larger amounts to drum or fill large amounts of syrup for bottling. I agree that its all about style and most people don't FINISH in their evaps. YES you make a finished product in your rig but your still finalize it in a different pot/finisher/pan.

All the pictures I see posted of some big operations the syrup is going into some sort of filter tank or thru a press but not once have I seen a guy filling bottles off the evap. Yes I have seen it going into drums to be FINISHED later and you can bet that syrup going into the drums will be as spot on as possible. I hope I haven't been misunderstood in my explanation.

+ Reply to Thread