+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing a thermometer in a filter press plate

I also use one of the overflow devices shown by Dr. Tim, but I only have 1 barrel then a overflow pot, either a 4 or 5 gal SS pot. As soon as I see a solid flow thru the over flow tubing, I shut down the filter. At the times when I have enough for another barrel, I first tighten the bungs in BBL 1, move it and then set up to fill #2. In those cases, I then pour the over flow contents back into my mix tank and restart the pump.
    Before I had the over flow device I had to keep a close eye on the barrel as it filled and I made a mess more than once. It has saved me untold gallons worth of syrup in the 5-6 years since I bought it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    I stand corrected. Dr Tim’s setup makes perfect sense. I had never considered that someone would go directly from press to barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    And to continue that, ...to barrel, to barrel, to barrel, to barrel with drum overflow valve setups (photo below).
    I am often amazed at the information that is placed on this forum, and more often amazed at what I still have to learn...It's all good.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

OK where do you get them. I do the KEEP AN EYE ON IT method. I have a 16" SS pipe on my press discharge and it helps keep the hose from falling out. One year it with the elbow fell in the drum and I forgot about it until my buyer called to say they found it.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 05-08-2018 at 08:20 AM.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If you mean the barrel overflow device, ours came from Lapierre, but I know that other companies (CDL, etc.) make their own version as well.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I think mine is also a Lapierre. I bought it from Bascom at a show.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

So this year I went with all SS drums and as we all know I can screw up a anvil with a rubber hammer. I do sample bottles on all my drums one for me one for my buyer. So I'm filling my drum from my 65 gallon finisher and the first thing I do is fill the little bottles cap them off and and write the date and drum number and put them on the drum until its full and labeled. Well the drum is filling and all is well until the heat from the syrup causes the drum top to expand going from convex to concave. Yea big words I know but the noise must have sounded like the Titanic hitting the ice berg. Those little bottles go shooting straight up in the air hitting the ceiling and then smashing on the floor. I about pinched a nerve in my neck going turtle wondering what just happened.

Do the drum fillers screw into the drum or have a rubber seal that expands into the hole? I can see that flying around like a fire hose under pressure.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    Do the drum fillers screw into the drum or have a rubber seal that expands into the hole? I can see that flying around like a fire hose under pressure.
    They have a built in expansion plug. You squeeze the handle and put it in. Takes a little adjustment to get it snug, but not too tight. If it isn't tight enough, pumping more syrup in after it is full can create a fountain of syrup. I only got hosed down with syrup once this year when a plug let loose when I just happened to be walking by, but that is really pretty rare. The unfortunate thing is different barrels require slight adjustment differences. We tend to use the same barrels as much as possible to avoid having to make frequent adjustments.

The joke with my brother-in-law is that we spill more syrup in a day than he makes all year.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post

The joke with my brother-in-law is that we spill more syrup in a day than he makes all year.
    I always say that I spill more syrup than most people eat
    -JoeKing

I'm at the point now that I just say...................I'm just giving it back.

Its like beer we don't buy it we just rent it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12