+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remote Setup Gas Vacuum Pump or Diesel Gen Set

Default Remote Setup Gas Vacuum Pump or Diesel Gen Set

Checking to see if anyone has any input on running a small diesel generator with a VFD to power their vacuum pump. We are looking at adding another 3,000taps up the hill. Its at-least 1-1/2 miles from any power, but we can pump the sap down to our exiting collection point. I have a good price on a Kubota 20KW gen set, and was thinking that if using a VFD I wouldn't need to worry about Full Load/Starting Amps and bog down the generator. Looking at the gas powered vacuum pumps they seem to be a daily pain with starting and providing gas. With a Generator I could use an electric releaser on a soft start or another VFD or (Hydra continuous flow releaser maybe?) and pump the sap downhill. This will save on having to upgrade on two storage tanks, and only need one bigger tank at the bottom. We currently are using two Busch Mink 1142 pumps on our lower property and haven't had any issues for the past 5 years in operations.

I would go with the generator set up. Keeping a gas engine running and fueled is a pain. I moved my vac pump from the woods to the sugar house and put an electric motor on it to eliminate that problem. It works a lot better having the pump at the sugar house and a vacuum pipe to the releaser 1500' away.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I wish I could move the vacuum pump to the sugar house, but at 1-1/2 miles away I would need to have at least an 3" dry line to get any CFM's to the new section of woods. I was also leaning on an Diesel Generator due to efficiency over gas engines and having more vacuum pump and releaser options. Thanks

I like propane Generators, I have a 15000 watt propane generator at work that the hour meter broke at 13,000 hours and that was 8 years or more ago, keeps on chugging. And you never have to fill it up, can be had for reasonable money too. Maybe a good alternative if the diesel Genset doesn't work out.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I purchased a Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.
    Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.
    I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is Cummins which i saw from a website.

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000 and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.

Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........

I would think propane too, but only if a fuel truck could get to the tank in the winter.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Indiana vacuum makes a Diesel engine option for there vacuum pumps.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

+ Reply to Thread