+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Niter settling while in freezer

Default Niter settling while in freezer

So I have a smallish batch of syrup that's been in a stainless food grade pot in the freezer for probably three weeks . My question is do you think the niter is settling while it is in there? I know it settles out good if it's just in the refrigerator but not sure about in the freezer. If anything the syrup is a little over density. I just don't know if I want to get all of my filtering stuff back ready and dirty again for a gallon and a half or two of syrup. It's just going to be for me and the family and hoping I'd just be able to decant it into jars and put it back in the freezer.

Curious to know why you froze it. I would bet it’s too viscous for the niter to settle but cant tell without looking at it Just set it on the counter for a few weeks.

I wouldn't worry if there is still some niter in it if it is for your own use. It is not worth the waste to filter that much.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Proper density syrup will not freeze until far below typical freezer temps. It will likely settle but not a fast as if it was warmer. You should be fine just decanting it, but I suggest you wait another month or so. It will settle much slower than it would at 35F or warmer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    Curious to know why you froze it. I would bet it’s too viscous for the niter to settle but cant tell without looking at it Just set it on the counter for a few weeks.
    I just had more room in the chest freezer than in the fridge is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I wouldn't worry if there is still some niter in it if it is for your own use. It is not worth the waste to filter that much.
    That's what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Proper density syrup will not freeze until far below typical freezer temps. It will likely settle but not a fast as if it was warmer. You should be fine just decanting it, but I suggest you wait another month or so. It will settle much slower than it would at 35F or warmer.
    Yeah it's definitely not frozen, I go a little past syrup and then add what I need of distilled water to it when I bring it into the house to finish. I'll probably wait a while yet to decant it like you suggest, it's not in the way and there's a bunch of other stuff going on. I was thinking that it would settle at a slower rate then when its warmer. I was just curious if anyone had first hand experience with using the settling method in the freezer. Thanks guys

You could leave it in the freezer and just decant off what you need to fill your container you keep in the fridge as you need it.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Well, finally got around to bottling up the syrup in the freezer.... The niter settled nicely in the freezer, there was a pile of it on the bottom.

+ Reply to Thread