+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Remote Monitoring

Smartrek. Confirming that if I have a mobile hotspot at the gateway to get an internet connection, that I can look at the data in real time on my cell phone as a sit at work, in my recliner at home, or while I'm walking the woods. Either with an android app or web interface...I"m fine with either one. What's the lag time from fixing a leak and seeing the data update on your phone? I have cell coverage throughout my entire woods.

If there is an app/web interface, is it user friendly?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    Smartrek. Confirming that if I have a mobile hotspot at the gateway to get an internet connection, that I can look at the data in real time on my cell phone as a sit at work, in my recliner at home, or while I'm walking the woods. Either with an android app or web interface...I"m fine with either one. What's the lag time from fixing a leak and seeing the data update on your phone? I have cell coverage throughout my entire woods.

If there is an app/web interface, is it user friendly?
    As long as you have an internet connection the gateway can reach, you will be able to access your ST data on the web or android app off-site. As far as "real-time", there will always be some amount of lag due to the "hopping" of signal from sensor-to-sensor to gateway to internet to your device. Part of this depends upon the settings you use. If you set the interval really low, there is less delay, but your battery life suffers. Set it too long and the delay increases. You need to determine what is acceptable to you, but typically a delay of a few minutes is fine, and people who want to stretch out battery life can run it longer.

Yes, there is both a web interface and an android app (sadly, no native iPhone app). H2O seems to be focusing more of developing the web interface lately. I personally don't find using a smartphone very useful, but perhaps that is because we have over 100 sensors, so scrolling around on a small screen is cumbersome. We use Android tablets more, but have been using the web interface more and more this past year.

As far as user friendly....once it is set it the way you want, the interface is pretty easy. Might be a little frustrating getting there, but what new program isn't that way?

ALL of the various systems from different manufacturers are rapidly getting better and better.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have been looking at Lapierre’s Detacer for a while but more lately now that I heard they are offering good deals. Like 20% down 20% upon delivery and the rest June 2019. No internet required and they claim they can transmit 2 miles. My dealer has one and loves it. $1600 for starter and $3-$600 for sensors depending what one. I think this technology is going to just explode the next few years and the functions and capabilities will just keep getting better.

I’m looking at 2-3 vacuum sensors and maybe a tank level for 2019.
    Jared

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Lapierre has been watching this niche while working on and designing their own monitoring system. It has some really interesting features that I think will make it stand out. Looking forward myself to getting my hands on it and playing around some next season.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks Dr. Tim. That's the information I needed.

Wait...Datacer and no internet!! How do they do it? The costs you have are comparable to the ST, but hotspot/internet costs are adders. Does anybody have more info on it?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Lapierre has been watching this niche while working on and designing their own monitoring system. It has some really interesting features that I think will make it stand out. Looking forward myself to getting my hands on it and playing around some next season.
    I am pretty sure they also took some back between seasons and upgraded them.
    Jared

Haynes Forest Products Guest

My CDL vacuum sensors cost $250.00 each and the tank level sensor is $500.00 each. Tim is right when it comes to real time info there is a lag time but not as bad as waiting for your wife to run up hill with a roll of 7/16 and 2 new batteries and tell me what the vacuum levels are at the releasers and they are 500' apart and come back because she still cant grasp the idea of take her MOBIL phone along.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234