+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New FDA regulation on nutrition labeling

Government looking for ways to govern and keep there jobs. Total crap, the sugar content is already on the label Sugars 53g per serving. And in a nut shell that is what it is. We DO NOT want people thinking we add sugar.

last I knew i would get fined and thrown in jail for doing it.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

It actually sounds to me like a great idea (adding "added sugars" to the label), but that the issues around honey and maple syrup just weren't thought out properly beforehand. Now they're trying to fix something after the fact by putting an asterisk on products which this rule never should have been applied to in the first place. Oops.
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    I believe 100% sugar would have to be granulated. How about they leave it alone because I cant believe anyone has called up thew consumer protection agency to complain that they purchased Pure Maple Syrup and didn't realize how much sugar was in it. Now I did have a guy answer another visitors question at a dairy breakfast and I was manning the sugar house. She asked why Vermont's syrup tasted so mush sweeter and he chimed in with "because they put more sugar in it" We will always have a certain segment of the population that just don't have a clue and no labeling will fix stupid.

I think this legislation is a cure looking for a problem. Its just stupid and was probably brought about because some low level clown in some government department has a young family member that is Diabetic and he squirted an entire pint of Vermont's finest down his throat and missed his Soccer game. Little Billiy cried all day because that's the day they gave out participation ribbons.

Knock it off man. People come here to learn about maple and discuss issues. Baseless rants about the government just get in the way. Find a productive way to vent frustration that doesn’t involve being derogatory.

For your reading pleasure. 3000+ comments to the FDA at least woke them up.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/06/...d-maple-syrup/
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

This is good news but we still don't know what the final labeling requirements will be.

How many other foods have naturally occurring sugar and will want an exemption also? That will be the problem of getting what we want.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

What would you think about Bananas having the same label. I would bet if you had 2 crates of the same bananas on one crate was labeled SUGAR ADDED you would see a big difference in the sales and questions to the guy in produce. How about peaches, here in Colorado they brag about how sweet they are because of the climate on the western slope. Cantelope is another one and yet they have killed more people than Maple syrup ever has or will.

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    Cantelope is another one and yet they have killed more people than Maple syrup ever has or will.
    Funny that you mention killer cantelope Haynes, my wife and I were in California last year moving our daughter to a new house and I had rented a truck. During one of our trips back and forth, some smart a** threw a cantelope over the fence of a state park and hit the hood of the truck while we were going about 50 on the Pacific Coast Highway. Darn near caused a heart attach in the passenger seat and if I would have slammed on the brakes, there would have been one heck of a multi car pile up. Proof that cantelopes can kill.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 06-28-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

The Maple News is the official monthly trade publication for the North American maple syrup industry.
    Subscription rates are $33/year and $60/2 years.
    Feel free to e-mail themaplenews@icloud.com for a sample copy or call us at 518-692-2204.
    Or click on www.themaplenews.com/subscribe

—The Maple News
    P.O. Box 88
    Rupert, VT 05768

Quote Originally Posted by TheMapleNews View Post
    Who wrote the article? It says at the top BY Peter Gregg but I say the exact same article in my local paper from the AP.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12