+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opening a can of worms?

Default Opening a can of worms?

I have our maple butter in a couple of local stores,am considering putting it in a larger chain store in a bigger city. Just wondering if I am going to be inviting inspectors in to check and see that I don't make the maple butter in a restaurant style kitchen. I looked at the syrup in the store,it had a c.f.i.a number clearly marked on the label. Thoughts? Thanks
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Bruce - as long as you are selling Ontario made syrup in Ontario, CFIA registration isn't necessary as far as I know. You may attract an OMAFRA inspector but having your products in any store or at farmer's markets may get their attention. We get a call from them about once every 5 years. They want to buy a 500mL bottle and it's normally some 20 year old university student who comes to get it. That's how they get syrup for the lead sampling, grading conformance and density tests that are presented at the OMSPA winter meetings.

If you can sell more value added products I say go for it!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Regardless you're opening yourself up to liability the more places you sell. The first question is do you have proper liability insurance to sell (incase something happens including a recall plan) and second if you're selling to a store I've had customers ask to see my commercial kitchen license. Stores don't want to be liable for selling a product that comes from a non-licensed facility. Just my two cent...
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

I can't address other states or Canada's regs. but in New York State a law was just passed that allows producers to make and sell maple cream or butter without a certified commercial kitchen. However if sold to other states it still requires one to have a certified commercial kitchen. In either case, liability insurance is vital, and a method of tracking batches produced.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Also important to check the local regulations. In some areas you can add preservative to maple cream....in other places (including Vermont), you cannot.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread