+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leader 3/16 CV Spouts--is the Jury still out?

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    How old is the tubing system? Are the trees larger than average, sometimes that can make some large yields, or just some good trees
    Tubing is not new. We are on a four year rotation with drops so approximately 25% of those are new every year. Trees are average size with many being smaller than average. For us, high yields consistently comes from the ability to keep tapholes productive for as long as four months or more. This is done through the use of cvs and no leaks. I am a leak fanatic. I walk and leak check at least 2500 taps each day even if vacuum levels are where I want them. Micro leaks on mainlines(mostly saddles) are a huge culprit of taphole drying. A lot of my leak checking is done at night when temps approach freezing. Just before freezeup, even the tiniest of leaks ice up and are super easy to find. We also run an electric releaser on our main woods (5500 taps). This is an advantage also.

That was my next question was about the releaser, I am going to try to find an electric one as the mechanical releases induce a lot of backflow every time they don't
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by Walling's Maple Syrup View Post
    As far as cleaning goes, we do not clean. When pulling taps, We cut spouts off and let drops hang open for a couple weeks. This dries most of system. We carry a role of surveyors tape with us and flag any spot that is dirty, damaged, or plugged and replace. After a couple weeks of hanging open, we plug back on t. We do this with our 3/16". Our 5/16" tubing is done a little differently.
    What style "T" are you using? The cup style or the pin style? I have the CDL cup style which work well with a spout on but with just the tubing stuck in, I'm afraid it would fall out rather easily. Glad to hear you like the CV's. In 3/16 I assume you're using Leader or do you use some other brand and then an adapter? As far as I know, the Leader is the only CV spout in 3/16.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmad View Post
    What style "T" are you using? The cup style or the pin style? I have the CDL cup style which work well with a spout on but with just the tubing stuck in, I'm afraid it would fall out rather easily. Glad to hear you like the CV's. In 3/16 I assume you're using Leader or do you use some other brand and then an adapter? As far as I know, the Leader is the only CV spout in 3/16.
    D&G t with pin. D&G 3/16" tubing. Leader 3/16" cvs. One piece. We use pin ts for everything. Tubing fits on nice and it eliminates one step (cutting off old spout) while tapping the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmad View Post
    I used some of the new Leader 3/16 Check Valve (CV) spouts this season and I'm still not quite sure what to think of them. Today when I was pulling taps, I made a few observations:

1) I observed a couple taps missing the ball in the check valve. I have no idea where it went, how, or why.
    2) Some of the balls were stuck in one position or the other. For example, some allowed the sap to flow back out of them when pulled, yet some did not allow the water I spray into the spout to enter. This is troubling if the spout was not allowing sap to enter the line for all or even part of the season.
    3) I noticed some greenish "algae" on the ends of the CV's when pulled. I did not notice it on the white CDL's. Not sure if this is a big deal or not.
    4) I'm not sure the procedure I should be using when washing the CV drops. My usual way is to pull the spout, spray warm water from backpack sprayer into spout until it runs out the previously pulled spout or at least for a 3-4 seconds, then I simply allow the drop to hang and air dry for a week or so, then plug it into the "T". Spraying water into the CV though, when working right, the water won't flush back out. I've been holding it up in the air for a while to try to get it to drain into the lateral but I know I'm not getting 100% of the water out. What's the right way to do this with CV's??
    5) The taps pulled harder than the CDL white taps. This could be because of the tap design and perhaps I sank them in a little too deep.

Overall I had a good season and I'm not upset by a lack of sap. I used CV's only on a couple of lines with 30-40 taps that were 2nd year lines. I thought they were the answer to prevent contamination from getting into the tap hole but I'm not so sure about them. What are your thoughts/experiences with CV's??
    I haven't seen a 3/16 CV spout in person but I am assuming it is the same design as a 5/16 but with a 3/16 drop connection. I am also assuming that you are using these spouts in a gravity situation and without mechanical vacuum (hybrid system).

If my assumptions are correct, then I have a couple thoughts about your observations.

When you say a couple balls were missing, do you mean the ball and tip of the spout were missing, or just the ball? If you look closely at the spout (assuming it is assembled the same as a 5/16) the tip can be removed and the ball will then be able to come out. If you pull the spout from the tree and the tip stays in the tree (this does happen) then the ball is likely to fall out as well.

What are you using to pull your spouts? Prior to acquiring a legit spout puller I had quite a few cv spout tips stay in the tree.

As for the balls being "stuck". This will on occasion happen and most of the time it is the case from the beginning. I have found it is important to check to make sure the ball functions before setting the spout in the tree. If it does not, then I do not use it. Probably about 1 in 200 have this issue.

It is important to recognize that these spouts are designed to be used with vacuum and to be used only one season. I'm not sure your observations regarding the check valve not working when trying to backflush the spout with water necessarily imply the spout was not working effectively in the conditions it was designed for. I pull my taps with the vac. on and I have never found a cv spout that was not functioning correctly at the end of the season.

If you desire to rinse the drop using the method you describe, it would likely make the most sense to cut the spout off and then rinse the drop.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12