+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: power choices

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Try turning all those things on at once....
    They all run at once. I don’t know why.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by steam maker View Post
    i have a 100 amp now coming underground from house so i could run ro all day on that no problem, just trying to figure on running ro and oil gun at same time , plus lights and small compressor. so really generater wouldnt be my only power , just kind of a extra “boost” when needed
    You list a cdl 600 which at most will only draw 30 amps. So unless your oil gun and compressor have huge hp motors on them. I dont see why you would need to upgrade to run an oil arch.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    They all run at once. I don’t know why.
    Sorry I meant start them all at once. My point is that you are probably not starting them all at once, which is when there is a higher draw, so that is why you are likely ok for now....
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I also have 100 amp service with ro, oil burner, light, electric heaters, water heater, my snuggly electric blanket, small refrigerator, water pump.... Basically everything at my old house/ sugarcamp.

well by golly maybe im over thinking thing here!! guess i dont understand y if my ro only needs 30 amps why does electrician have it on a 65 amp breaker? but we will give it a whirl and if worse comes to worse ill admit defeat and figure it out then . love to have a water pump and water heater out there too but theres another bag of apples
    4 by 12 cdl
    Cdl 3 post ro , 4th post waiting to get added
    5 hp sihi vaccum pump, 3/4 hp airblo vaccum pump, gv60 atlas copco vaccum pump www.roundmountainsugarhouse.com.

Get a clamp on load meter like this https://www.tequipment.net/ExtechETK...utm_medium=cpc and test all of the loads on surge start. That is only an example, there are lots to choose from so look around.
    The breaker may be oversized to account for the starting surge, or the electrician may not be your best friend. In general a piece of equipment uses a larger breaker than the running amps but over double is not typical. For things with a high surge a slow trip breaker slightly over the need is far more common.
    For your electrical usage you can not just add up the amp ratings of the breakers, because that will not even give you an estimate you can work with. If done properly the breaker is sized to match the gauge of the wire used, it has no bearing on what the equipment needs. On an easier scale, look at 12 ga copper wire, as long as the run is within usual limits as to length, it will get a 20A breaker, but maybe it only has a 5 or 6 A load on it. Read the tag on your equipment to get the running amps or watts, if the tag gives watts, just divide that by the volts for the amps.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123